You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Feb 2002

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00000 Feb 2002

Slokam 5:

namO namO yAmunAya yAmunAya namO nama:

namO namO yAmunAya yAmunAya namO nama:

mAthA piTha yuvataya sta nayA vibhooti:

sarvam yadEva niyamEna madanvayanAm

Adyasyana: kulapathE rvakulAbhirAmam

srImattadangriyugalam praNamAmi moordhnA:||

madanvayAnAm - those born in our clan, ya dEva - (which) nammaLwAr's sacred
feet, niyamEna - forever,

mAtA - loving like a mother, pitA - well wisher like a father, yuvataya: -
being source of pleasure like youthful womenfolk, tanayA: - protectful like
children, vibhooti: - luxurios like welath, sarvam - even a desired state
different from all these, na: - for us who belong to srimannAthamuni's
sampradAyam, Adyasya - the first Acharya, kulapatE: - one who is known as
"praapanna jana kootastha" , vakulAbhirAmam - one who looks so captivating and
adorning garland of "vakula" flowers, srImat - luminous, tat - such a desirable
, angriyugalam - pair of feet, moordhnA - with my head, praNamAmi - I bow.

tAtparyam:

In this slOkam, Swami NammALwAr is paid obeisance. He is known by several names
srI satakOpa, pArAnkusha, vakuLAbharaNa, "vEdam tamiL saida perumAL" . He is
like a loving mother, well-wisher like a father, source of pleasure like
damsels, care taker like children, source of wealth (in the form of devotional
love) and all other desired states. I pay obiesance to the luminous pair of
feet of such a nammALwAr who is so captivating adorned by garland of vakuLa
flowers.

AlavandAr tiruvadigalE saranam.