You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Feb 2002

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00011 Feb 2002

Dear friends,

let us see the meaning of thirumantra as given my SrI dESika in the first verse
of nyAsa daSka:

aham madrakshaNa bharO madrakshaNa phalam tathA
na mama SrIpatErEvEtyAtmAnam nishipEt budhah

meaning:

aham na mama SrIpatEh Eva - omkAram - I am not mine but of SrIpati ALONE.

madrakshaNa bharO na mama SrIpatEh Eva - the burden of rescuing me (from the
brith cycle) is not mine but of SrIpati alone - "namah"

madrakshaNa phalam na mama SrIpatEh Eva - the result of protecting me
(kainkarya) is not for me but for SrIpati alone - nArAyaNAya

being assured of this, a wise man will keep his mind calm (vaazhum sombEr. say
ALwArs).

to say that we need to initially do something for our moksha will make the
meaning of "namah" as given by Bhattar half-true (AtmatrANonmukahSchEt nama iti
padam).

Since we have faith in bhattar's words, we ought to believe in His nirhetuka
krupA.

rAmAnuja dAsan
vishnu

Home Page