You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Feb 2002

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00024 Feb 2002

srImathE rAmAnujAya namah.

dear bhAgavathAs,

We are glad to report some progress that has been
made regarding the Library project.

We recently purchased a lot of
very very valuable books (dating from 1920 -
1960) for the library. These include about 200
issues of the invaluable periodical "rAmANujan"
published by svAmi. {In kAnchipuram, we use
the word svAmi to denote just one person -
srI PBA svAmi; now we have around 350 issues of
this magazine; there are bound to be many
duplicates that we intend to sort out in the next
few weeks; we believe that there are a total of
630 issues}. Among those books are a few of
his commentaries and a copy of his autobiography.
One of these days, we will start summarizing
pieces of his extensive biography that contains
details about the AchAryAs that our religion
had in the first half of this century as well.

A request to members of the group. Please spread
the message that we are collecting sampradAya
books for a public library project. We either will
buy the books (if the owner wants to sell them,
as in the cases above), or xerox the books and
return the original if the owner wishes to retain
them. svAmi's books are especially welcome.
He had written 420 books (excluding the monthly
periodicals - rAmAnujan and vaidika manOhara)
by 1956! He was in this world till 1982 or so.
We can only imagine how many works he did
in his lifetime.

We are dutibouond to collect and maintain as
many of his works as available today. To
give an example of His divine abilities, we
have a copy of a commentary he wrote on
rAmAnuja nUrrandhAdhi when he was 12! - That
commentary is incredible in its depth and its
content.

Please help our sampradAyam by spreading the
message to your relatives. Most of these books
are in a very dilapidated state and will last
only a few more years. We have to digitize them
somehow so that we can preserve the content.
Anyone known to you that used to get svAmi's books
are a potential source {especially if you
have seen old wooden almyrahs in their homes :)}.

AzhvAr emperumAnAr jIyar thiruvadigaLE saraNam,

adiyEn rAmAnuja dAsan,
varadhan