You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Feb 2004

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00031 Feb 2004

Sri Parthasarathi thunai
Srimathe Ramanujaya Namaha
Sri Vara Vara MunayE Namaha
Sri vAnAchala mahA munayE Namaha

Dear Bhagavatas,

Hope you all had a wonderful thaiyil-magam celebrations. Let us now proceed to
enjoy the divine nectar of thirumazhisai azhvar's excellent outpourings. In the
enjoy the same paasuram in one another way. Let us see that in this posting.

As soon as azhvar finished the 6th paasuram condemning the Buddhist, Jains and
saivaites emperuman questioned azhvar, "Oh! Azhvar You talked about others
elaborately in the previous paasuram, but now won't you tell me about you?"
Immediately azhvar answers in this paasuram stating that, " Oh! My Lord I may
be granted the eternal bliss at any time. But I have been blessed with your
ultimate grace today. I cannot be without you nor can you sustain without me.
This is our present state. So why should I worry?"

(endrAga nAlayEyAga enisiridhum nindrAga ninnarul enpAladhE) I may attain the
paramapadam either today or tomorrow or after some more days that doesn't
matter even a bit for me because,

(ninnarul enpAladhE) I have received your ultimate grace.

While asked," How did you come to know that?" Azhvar answers,

(nandrAga nAnunnai andri yilEn kandAi nArananE) I have reached a stage where
even a short separation from you will cause athma nAsam (destruction of the
soul).

(nee ennai andri yilai) and you on my separation will become non-existent. So
when I have received all your divine love why should I worry about the day of
attaining the eternal bliss?

The words of thirumazhisai azhvar can be seen reflected in nammazhvar's
paasuram: "ennadhAvi mElaiyAi.... vunnadennadhAviyum ennadunnadhAviyum...."
(thiruvai 4-3-8). One doubt may arise, "It is ok to say that azhvar cannot
exist without the support of emperuman but how does the reverse hold good?"
This question vanishes when we look into the words of our dear geethacharyan
who in front of all declares, "jnAni tvAtmaiva mE matham" (my theory is that,
the JnAni's our my soul) and "mama prAnAhi pAndavA:" (the pandavas our my life).

Moreover a divine rahasya artham is also seen by our poorvacharyas in the last
line of the paasuram. The thirunAmam "nArAyanan" as per sanskrit grammar can be
spilt into two.

"nArAnAm ayanam ya: sa:" nArAyana: - tat purusha samAsam

"nArA: ayanam yasya sa: nArAyana: - bhahu vreehi samAsam

The above two have been given by azhvar in the front and back of the word
"nArananE". "nAnunnai andri yilEn kandAi" is derived from "nArAnAm ayanam ya:
sa: (the one who is the place of existence for all that belong to the nAra
category) and similarly "nee ennai andri yilai" is derived from "nArA: ayanan
yasya sa: nArAyana: ( the one who has the nArasamoohas as his place of
existence). So only since emperuman lives in azhvar and azhvar lives in perumal
he has got the special name "nArAyanan". So without azhvar emperuman cannot
exist. This is one another meaning.

(To be continued)

Azhvar emperumAnAr Jeeyer thiruvadigalE sharaNam

Adiyen ramanuja dAsee
Sumithra Varadarajan

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia