You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Feb 2004

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00080 Feb 2004

Dear devotees,
Here is a chapter on gAyatrI from brhadAraNyaka upanishad. (I see it
as a crude english translation - pay close attention to v-xiv-4).

Regards,
Kasturi Rangan

gAyatrI brAhmaNam of brhadAraNyaka
----------------------------------

V-xiv-1: `Bhumi' (the earth), `Antariksa' (sky) and `Dyaus' (heaven)
make eight syllables, and the first foot of the Gayatri has eight
syllables. So the above three worlds constitute the first foot of the
Gayatri. He who knows the first foot of the Gayatri to be such wins
as much as there is in those three worlds.

V-xiv-2: `Rchah', `Yajumsi' and `Samani' make eight syllables, and
the second foot of the Gayatri has eight syllables. So the above
three Vedas constitute the second foot of the Gayatri. He who knows
the second foot of the Gayatri to be such wins as much as that
treasury of knowledge, the three Vedas, has to confer.

V-xiv-3: `Prana', `Apana' and `Vyana' make eight syllables, and the
third foot of the Gayatri has eight syllables. So the above three
forms of vital force constitute the third foot of the Gayatri. He who
knows the third foot of the Gayatri to be such wins all the living
beings that are in the universe. Now its Turiya, apparently visible,
supramundane foot is indeed this ? the sun that shines. `Turiya'
means the fourth. `Apparently visible foot', because he is seen, as
it were. `Supramundane', because he shines on the whole universe as
its overlord. He who knows the fourth foot of the Gayatri to be such
shines in the same way with splendour and fame.

V-xiv-4: That Gayatri rests on this fourth, apparently visible,
supramundane foot. That again rests on truth. The eye is truth, for
the eye is indeed truth. Therefore if even today two persons come
disputing, one saying, `I saw it', and another, `I heard of it', we
believe him only who says, `I saw it'. That truth rests on strength.
The vital force is strength. (Hence) truth rests on the vital force.
Therefore they say strength is more powerful than truth. Thus the
Gayatri rests on the vital force within the body. That Gayatri saved
the Gayas. The organs are the Gayas; so it saved the organs. Now,
because it saved the organs, therefore it is called the Gayatri. The
Savitri that the teacher communicates to the pupil is no other than
this. It saves the organs of him to whom it is communicated.

V-xiv-5: Some communicate (to the pupil) the Savitri that is Anustubh
(saying), `speech is Anustubh; we shall impart that to him'. One
should not do like that. One should communicate that Savitri which is
the Gayatri. Even if a man who knows as above accepts too much as
gift, as it were, it is not (enough) for even one foot of the Gayatri.

V-xiv-6: He who accepts these three worlds replete (with wealth),
will be receiving (the results of knowing) only the first foot of the
Gayatri. He who accepts as much as this treasury of knowledge, the
Vedas (has to confer), will receive (the results of knowing) only its
second foot. And he who accepts as much as (is covered by) all living
beings, will receive (the results of knowing) only its third foot.
With its fourth, apparently visible, supramundane foot ? the sun that
shines ? is not to be counter balanced by any gift received. Indeed
how could any one accept so much as gift ?

V-xiv-7: Its salutation: `O Gayatri, thou art one-footed, two-footed,
there-footed and four-footed, and thou art without any feet, for thou
art unattainable. Salutation to thee, the fourth, apparently visible,
supramundane foot ! May the enemy never attain his object !' (Should
the knower of the Gayatri) bear hatred towards anybody, (he should)
either (use this Mantra): `Such and such ? way his desired object
never flourish!' ? in which case that object of the person against
whom he thus salutes the Gayatri, never flourishes ? or (he may
say), `May I attain that (cherished object) of his!'

V-xiv-8: On this Janaka, Emperor of Videha, is said to have told
Budila, the son of Asvatarasva, `Well, you gave yourself out as a
knower of the Gayatri; then why, alas, are you carrying (me) as an
elephant ?' He replied, `Because I did not know its mouth, O
Emperor'. `Fire is its mouth. Even if they put a large quantity of
fuel into the fire, it is all burnt up. Similarly, even if one who
knows as above commits a great many sins, he consumes them all and
becomes pure, cleansed, undecaying and immortal'.

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia
ramanuja-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
To subscribe to the list