You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Feb 2004

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00104 Feb 2004

AchArya Hrdhyam sUthram 225

The Seventh Ten

thiru-voi-mozhi
The reason for AzhwAr being detained in the world.
thiru-vARan viLai as the means and the end.

The Lord's Greatness- omni-potence-is the auspicious quality highlighted in
this yEazhAm pathu.

What is this potence? The Lord Almighty is powerful to grant salvation through
Him as the means to one and all including, plants, enemies and others.
Such a Lord bequeathed this to AzhwAr who accepted this and reached an
emotional state where he was unable to be without the Lord's feet even for a
small period of time. This being, so, AzhwAr is in the midst of this world, the
world of materialistic pleasures, the world which is succumbing to the sensory
organs which makes one distance from the Lord Almighty. Realising this
situation, AzhwAr falls off from his normal self and is in a state where others
have to declare his sad state of affairs; "vuNNilAvi aivar"-7-1-->tormenting
five sensory organs.

"kangulum pagalum" and "veLLaich suri sangodu" 7-2 and 7-3-the mother parAnkusa
nAyaki stating the affairs of AzhwAr .

The Lord displayed His deeds of valour and victory which reclaimed AzhwAr to
his normal self to a certain extent. Nevertheless, when AzhwAr again recalled
the distress haunting this world, he became griefstruck again. Thus, the state
of grief and recovery fluctuated for AzhwAr.

AzhWar questions the Lord
"Azhi ezha" 7-4 display of victorious deeds by the Lord.

" Oh! Lord Almighty, You are fully powerful -full of knowledge and power/gnAnam
and shakthi- and when I have openly declared my emptiness acknowledging You as
the only refuge, why am I still kept in this world?"

The Lord's response was " We desired to listen to your thiru-voi-mozhi. This is
for me and my devotees"
"enRaikkum ennai vuyyak koNdu" 7-9;
There are so many scholars prior to AzhwAr's period; vyAsar and other saints,
the earlier AzhwAr-s.However, The Lord preferred to get the thiru-voi-mozhi
sung through swAmi nam-AzhwAr. What a great help? What a GRace? What a grant?
is AzhwAr's overwhelming exclamations.

What can AzhwAr do in response? Is there anything with which he can repay for
this? No.
The only thing that can be done is singing in praise of the "Lord with His
consort" in thiru-vARan viLai.He is the means and the dhivya-dhEsam and the
em-perumAn is the end-goal to be attained, is the loud message by AzhwAr again
reiterating what he has stated earlier-The Lord as the means and the End.

"inbam payakka ezhil malar mAdharum thAnum" 7-10.

thiru-voi-mozhi
The reason for AzhwAr being detained in the world.
thiru-vARan viLai as the means and the end.

(to be continued)
vanamamalai padmanabhan

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia