You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Feb 2004

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00110 Feb 2004

AchArya Hrdhyam sUthram 225-3

The Seventh Ten Contd.

Oh! Lord. Why are You still detaining me in this world of torture?

"theLivuRRavaRku yEARRaRum vaikunthathai aruLum prApagathvam, puRpa, eRumbu,
pagaivanukkum Akka valla sakthi, bhAdhagam illAdha thanmai..agaRRumavaRrin
naduvEA iruthak kaNdu nalivAn, sumadu thandhAi, 'O' enRu, sAdhana palamAna
AkrOshathOdEA, pazhiyittu...."

The sakthi of the Lord Almighty was seen in the preceding posting. It is
explained a little further. For the souls, who deem that the Lord as the means
and the end , and do not get confused after seeing the other souls in the
world, the Lord grants the higher pedestal by giving Himself as means. He
Graces His blesing by granting His divine feet to even the plants, grass,
enemies. This being so, AzwAr is really grieved that despite his surrender unto
the Lord, he is still being detained in this world.

AzhwAr did not only surrender to Him but reached a state where he was not able
to sustain himself away from the Lord even for a brief period. What is wrong in
being in this world? The five sensory organs torment the souls. They moot the
soul into pleasures and materialistic ends and distance away from the Lord.
Hence, AzhwAr calls Him vigourously " Oh! Lord, why do you still keep me in
this world of torments?" and blames and accuses the Lord, which is akin to a
child blaming the mother for falling inadvertently, on the road.

pAsuram-s:

The Lord is a big force granting salvation to plants,animals and enemies.
"theLivuRRu vEvinRi ninRavaRku inbak gadhi seiyyum" 7-5-11-->For the souls who
deem Him as the means and end, the Lord grants them Himself.

"yEARRarum vaikunthathai aruLum namakku" 7-6-10--> The Lord grants salavation
to us, the high pedestal .

"puRpA mudhalA pul, eRumbAdhi onRinRiyEA"-->7-5-1--> The Lord is capable of
blessing even plants like grass, animals like ants etc.

"sEAt pAl pazham pagaivan sisupAlan thiruvadi.."7-5-2-->The Lord Almighty is
capable of even gracing His blessing to enemies like sisupAlan.

"adiyEan vunapAdham agala killEAn"-->6-10-10--> AzhwAr says" I am not able to
sustain myself without Your divine feet".

"agaRRa nE vaitha mAya val aim pulangaL'--> 5-7-8--> YOu have kept these five
sensory organs which take us away from You.

The five sensory organs torment AzhwAr. This is explained in the first
thiru-voi-mozhi of seventh ten---"vuL nilAviya aivaRAl kuamai thERRi"

--> "nalivAn iNNam eNNugiNRAi'-7-1-1--> "Oh! Lord, You are still thinking of
tormenting me through these five organs.

"Ore aindhivaip peidhu ..vunnai nAn anugA vagai"--7-1-2-> These five distance
me from YOU.

"..aivarAl vinayEAnai mOdhuvithu.." 7-1-3--> You are making me confront these
five.
"...Ore aivaraik kAtti, vunn adip pOdhu nAn anugAvagai.."-->7-1-4-> You have
shown me these five and made me non approachable towards YOu.
"sekkil ittum thirikkum aivarai " 7-1-5--> These five torture me.
"viNNuLAr perumARku adimai seivaRAiyum seRum aim pulan ivai"7-1-6--These five
sensory organs torture even those who serve the Lord Almighty.
"Ore aivar vaN kayavarai enRu yAn velgiRpan, vun thiru aruL illayEAl"7-1-7-->
When can I conquer these unless You grant me Your grace?
"innamudhenath thOnRi Oraivar yAvaraiyum mayakka" 7-1-8--> These five appear to
be sweet and deceive one and all.
"kodu van kuzhinil vEzhkum aivarai"--7-1-9--> These five push one into deep
gorge.
"aivar dhisai dhisai valithu eRRuginRAnar"7-1-10--> these five torment from all
directions.

AzhwAr thus laments the torture of five sensory organs and loudly calls the Lord

"viNNuLAr perumAnEAyO!"--7-1-5 and "mun paravai kadaindhu amudham koNda mUrthE
O!" 7-1-10;

Actually the soul has over years and years of being involved but blame the Lord
for having kept here for long, long time. This is likened to a child falling on
the road and accusing the mother for that.
Oh! Lord. Why are You still detaining me in this world of torture

(to be continued)
vanamamalia padmanabhan

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia