You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Feb 2006

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00073 Feb 2006

Dear Swamin

Firstly, thank you for the information on waraq.

On a wider plane I am a little confused on the issue
of adhering to strict vegetarianism in this time and
age.It looks like the line demarcating the two is
slowly fading away - see below.

I am not sure whether it would make sense to 'reject'
medicines that the doc prescribes when someone is down
sick due to the fact that they may have some
non-vegetarian content.

The need of the hour seems to be to qualify
vegetarianism in accordance to the present times.

Please excuse me in case i have offended anyone with
this mail as the intention is solely to get your
valuable thought on the matter.

Adiyen Ramanuja dasan

aravindan

Extract from the TOI-

In May 2005, Indian officials announced they were
planning on labeling all cosmetics and personal
hygiene products as to whether or not they were
"vegetarian." This came after officials had early
proposed labeling medicines as to whether or not they
were "vegetarian." That proposal was ultimately
rejected on the grounds that almost all medicine would
have to be labeled "non-vegetarian" and might
discourage strict vegetarians from accepting them.

--- shekar babu <prs_raaj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> om namo ramanujaya namaha
>
>   dear sir,
>
>   you have tought me a beautiful lesson regarding
> WARAQ.  i am really astonished that how i am eating
> this one which is coming from animal skin.  i think
> that everybody should aware of this WARAQ which is
> very very harmful.
>
>   i will promise you that i will definetely take
> part in reaching your goal with this information to
> every one i know.
>
>   thanking you sir,
>
>   shekar
>
> Anil kumar Sakamuri <anil.sakhamuri@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>   Subject:Sweets are non-vegetarian: The lowdown on
> waraq (aka varakh)
> Sweets are non-vegetarian
>
> Beasts in my belfry / Maneka Gandhi
>
> In India, by law, every food item has to have a
> green
> dot on it, if it is vegetarian - and a maroon dot,
> if
> it is non-vegetarian. If a manufacturer is found to
> be
> cheating by mislabelling his product, the sentence
> is
> many  years in jail.
>
>  but the  silver
> ;foil&nb sp;or 'varakh' on each mithai cannot by any
> stretch of imagination  be considered vegetarian.

http://mail.yahoo.com

Azhvar EmberumAnAr JeeyAr ThiruvadigalE Saranam
http://www.vedics.net

Yahoo! Groups Links