You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Jan 2003

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00090 Jan 2003

Jan 2003 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

 maRRai nam kAmangaL mARRu

The twenty ninth pAsuram of thiruppavai precisely spells out the attitude
during desired end result.
The end result is kainkaryam to emperumAn. What is the attitude during
kainkaryam to emperumAn?

The attitude should be only happiness but nothing else. Whose happiness?Our
happiness.
When does the happiness occur? When empeurmAn becomes happy on the kainkaryam
the happiness occurs. This happiness is stressed here.

Any happiness for the soul during the kainkaryam is mentioned here as other
desires. Removal of this desire is sought. The happiness SHOULD NOT come up
from our kainkaryam but from empeurmAn's happiness from our kainkaryam. This is
what is mentioned as "vugappE upEyam"
EmperumAn's happiness is our aim. We should not have our own happiness but aim
atempeumAn's happiness.

Since, the soul is knowledged and also capable of enjoying happiness, the
knowledge may result in enjoyment while doing service to the Lord. This is
called shEshatvam. However,being capable of used by the Lord leading to His
happiness is called bhOgthrithvam.

This is detailed in AchArya hridhayam sUthram-21 " sEshathva bOghthrithvangaL
pOl anREa, pArathantharya bOgyadhaigaL".

A. sEshathvam & bOghthruthvam:
The soul has two fundamental characteristics.
a.sEshathvam- subservient to the Lord. and b. Being possessed with knowledge
(gnAthruthvam) This knowledge results in
i. independence( swAthanthriyam) ii. To do acts on its own( karthrithvam) and
ii. Enjoy and experience ( bhOghthrithvam).

Here the realisation by the soul, that the soul is sub-servient to the Lord is
termed as 'sEshathvam'

B. pArathanthriyam: As seen above the soul is subservient but by its innate
nature is also independent and also possessed with the quality of enjoying and
experiencing. ''
These are the minus points in the soul being just sub-servient. This is
because, while the soul is serving the Lord- it may start enjoying or
experiencing the happiness and the independence may lead to start doing service
on its own or for its sake. Since, though the independence of the soul is
bestowed by the Lord, the soul after having detached the independence, is at
its best while doing service to the Lord.

Accordingly, to do acts as desired by the Lord for the enjoyment of the Lord is
the ultimate purpose of the service (kainkaryam) to the Lord by the soul. This
is termed as being suitable for the service of the Lord for the sake/enjoyment
of the Lord.This is termed as 'pArathanthriyam'.
Instead of being independent,the soul is like insentient objects while serving
the Lord which is 'bhOgyadhai'.

Thus the idea here is to highlight that 'pArathanthriyam' is supreior to
'sEshathvam' and 'bhOghyadhai' is suprerior to 'bhoghthruthvam'.
This is what is clearly mentioned by the term "maRRAi nam kAmangaL mARRu"
thiruppavai 29

vAnamAmalai padmanAbhan

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia