You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Jan 2003

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00132 Jan 2003

Jan 2003 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Srimathe Ramanujaya Namaha

Respected Madam,
My pranams to you. I don't know whether one would consider the
reference to Azhwar's pasuram as a "direct evidence", but I am just
posting a reference to Nammazhwar's Thiruvasiriyam in this mail just
to support the fact that it is not good to perform anya-devatha
worship(though these devathas have to be respected due to their
superior post).

"Oh! Oh! Ulaginadhu Iyalve! Eendrolirukka MaNai neeraatti, padaitthu
idandhu undu umizhndhu alandhu therndhu ulagalikkum mudharperum
kadavul nirka, pudaippalanaadhari deivam penudhal, thanaadhu
pullarivaanmai porundhakkaatti" - Thiruvasiriyam - Nammazhvar.

Meaning: Azhwar exclaims with sorrow that "oh! This is the nature of
the people - to praise and take care of only their wife while their
mother(old) needs care and affection.". He quotes this as an analogy
to - "The ultimate(Shriman Narayanan) is there who creates(padaitthu)
(Shrima Narayanan), protects(idandhadhu - varahar), destroys(undu),
re-creates(umizhndhu), measures(ulagai-alandhadhu - thiruvikkiraman)
this universe while people show their ignorance by worshipping
others." The whole of Thiruvasiriyam is a wonderful composition by
Nammazhvar. The words are coined in such a simple fashion that it
almost resembles a prose more than a poem. Anyone who reads it would
definitely be able to feel what Azhwar felt. One would get very good
bhagavad anubhavam from this.

If this post is irrelevant to your question, kindly ignore the same.
My sincere apologies.

Yatheendra Pravanam Vandhe RAMYA Jaamaataram Munim

Adiyen Ramanuja Dasan,
Lakshmi Narasimhan

--- In ramanuja@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "geetha_rangarajan2000
<geetha_rangarajan@xxxx>" <geetha_rangarajan@xxxx> wrote:
> Dear Smt Nappinnai
>
> My pranams to you. thank you very much for your thought provoking
> reply.
>
> You mentioned that
>
> > While worshipping anya devatas,it
> > is difficult to develop the "state of mind" where one can
visualise
> > and experience the "antaryAmi" Sriman nArAyaNa residing in those
> demi-
> > gods.
>
> This paragraph probably explains the 'harm' of anya devata worship
> for a person seeking mukti. Is there any direct evidence for this?
> Please forgive me for my questioning nature and persisting to know
> the evidence without just accepting conventional answeres.
>

> Please accept my pranams once again.
>
> adiyal
> geetha

Home Page