You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Jan 2004

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00058 Jan 2004

Jan 2004 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

AchArya Hrdhayam sUthram 220 Contd.

Continuing on the second ten, It was seen that AzhwAr desired to attain the
place in the midst of nithya sUri ghOshti -adiyArgaL kuzhAngaLai vudan
kUduvadhu enRu kolO-and yearned for it as it was not granted forthwith. Further,
TEXT:
" vularAmal Avi sEarndhu, chikkeanap pugundhu, sambandhigaLum sEArdhal mARinar
enna vAzhvithu vubakarikkaRa nEndhum kedalil emmA vEttai,
vupayAnuguNamAkkinavar.."

through His immense affection akin to parama padham. The not only assuaged the
yearnings of AzhWar but led him to ecstasy.
The Lord bequeathed His undivieded attention to AzhwAr.
Did this grace stop with AzhwAr? No. This flowed down to those who had the
thiruvadi sambandham of AzhwAr to his followers. The voluntary grace of the
Lord flowed to the devotees of AzhwAr-s on just their qualification of their
nexus-with Azhwar.
However, AzhwAr rejected the salvation or the mOksham if it is given for the
sake of Azhwar. AzhwAr considered such a benefit similar to materialistic ends.
Thus AzhwAr stressed on the nature of end.

Micro-Analyasis:
I. vuL vulAvi vualrndhu vularndhu ---> thiru voi mozhi 2-4-7---> Due to the
yearning for the Lord, the soul of AzhwAr become arid and dried up.

II. andhAmathu anbu seidhu en Avi SEar ammAnukku-----> thiru voi mozhi
2-5-1---> The Lord granted the affection which He does in parama padham. the
Lord reached AzhwAr's soul.

III. siRidhOr idamum puRappadAth thannuLLEa, vulagugaL okkavE vizhungi
pugundhAn....chikkeanp pugundhAn" thiru voi mozhi 2-6-2---> The Lord gave His
undivided attention to AzhwAr and settled down in AzhwAr's mind.

IV. "emar kEzh mEal ezhu piRappum, vidiyA ven narahathu enRum sEArdhal
mARinaREa" ----> thiru-voi-mozhi 2-7-1---> The flow of affection and grace from
the Lord did not stop with AzhwAr. It flowed down like a waterfall on those who
are connected to AzhwAr. His devotees, their devotees through
generations-sambhandhigaL. AzhwAr was had a pleasant surprise that just by
connection with him, the souls had got the voluntary grace of the Lord.

V. "nEndhum thuyarillA vEdu" 2-8-2; "emmA vEdu 2-9-1' ---> The gratest and
Highest abode where there is no hurdles, grief---> mOksham.

VI. "nin sem mA pAdha paRputh thalai sEarthu ollai, ammA adiyEAn vEduvathu
EdhEA" ---> thiru-voi-mozhi 2-9-1---> I do not want the Highest abode, the
place without any grief etc.-mOksham/vEdu --if it is given for my sake. My
request is I may please be granted your diviene feet.

VII."thanakkEyAga enaik koLLum EdhEa" ---> thiru-voi-mozhi 2-9-4---> explicitly
mentioning that the mOksham should be granted by the LOrd for the sake of Him.
This is the apposite nature of both the Lord and AzhwAr. If it is not so the
nature will become corrupted.

(to be continued)
vanamamalai padmanabhan
Note: AchArya hrdihayam text is given in red while thiru-voi-mozhi quotes are
underlined.

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia
ramanuja-subscribe@yahoogroups.com