You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Jan 2004

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00105 Jan 2004

Jan 2004 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Dear bhagavatas,

There is no kAla (time), dEsa (place) or adhikAri niyamam to chant the
thirumantram. This has been very clearly explained by Swamy pillai ulagariyan
in his mumukshupadi. Any person who has got his samAsrayanam from his acharyan
gets this thirumanthra upadesam from his acharyan and from then on he has to
constantly meditate on this maha manthram and its meaning.

Adiyen ramanuja dAsee
Sumithra Varadarajan

vedantham chary <vedantham_krishna@xxxx> wrote:
Adiyen Ramanuja Dasan
Pranams to all Bhagavathas
I heard that Gayathri should be recited by only by samskrutha manushya ie those
who underwent upanayanam>there is yet another gayathri meant for others called
smartha gayathri which gives same benifit.I suppose there is no such restiction
to recite THIRUMANTHRAM.I will be glad to know more on this subject.
Krishnamachary

Madhuri and Mohan <m_raghavan@xxxx> wrote:
I would beg to differ with Sri Vishnu on this. Mu:la Mantram is the
highest and most accessible of all mantrams, and can be chanted silently
at certain times of the day when prescribed by the a:cha:rya. From what
I have learned, contemplation on the thirumantram can follow the
ga:yatri during the performance of trika:la sandhya vandanam, and also
in place of ga:yatri by those who have not been initiated into it. It
should be noted, however, that unlike the ga:yatri, which has specific
count, the ashta:kshari should just be meditated upon without counting
the number of times that it has been chanted.

But, it is important to note that meditation on this mantram should only
be performed when it prescribed and how it is prescribed by an
a:cha:rya. And, as Sri Vishnu has stated, learning about and trying to
live life in accordance with its meaning is just as important as simply
meditating upon it.

Ramanuja dasan
Mohan

azhwAr emberumAnAr jeeyAr thiruvadigalE saranam

azhwAr emberumAnAr jeeyAr thiruvadigalE saranam