You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Jan 2004

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00125 Jan 2004

Jan 2004 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Dear Shri Srinivasa chary,
I stand corrected. The following are from notes I've taken long time
back...

The vaikhAnasa texts are as follows:
1. vaikhAnasa srauta sUtra
2. vaikhAnasa smArta sUtra (includes grhya & dharma sUtras)
Both of these are published by W.Caland and should be in print.
3. There is also a vaikhAnasa mantra prashnam (similar to Apastambha
mantra prashnam).
The kalpa sUtra also includes one chapter on pravara kanda.
I believe they are very much vedic in nature & scope.

The vaishNava agamas with the same name were supposed to be composed
by Atri, Bhrgu, kashyapa and marIchi, who were said to be disciples
of Rshi VaikhAnasa and the manuscripts of their works are rumored to
be in Tibet and Nepal (suspicious!!).

Atri's works are Purva Tantra, Atreya Tantra, Vishnu Tantra and
Uttara Tantra.

Brgu's works are 13 in number containing 88,000 shlokas.
They are : 1. Khila Tantra 2. Pura Tantra 3. Vasanadhikara 4.
Chithradhikara 5. Manadhikara 6. Kriyadhikara 7. Archanadhikara 8.
Yagnadhikara 9. Varnadhikara 10. Prathigruhyadhikara 11.
Nirukthadhikara 12. Prakirnadhikara and 13. Khiladhikara.
Of these thirteen, 6 & 8 are available in print. 3 & 7 & 11 are
available in manuscripts, 2, 4, 5 & 9 are available in fragments, and
the rest are not available.

Marichi's Works are enumerated as Jayasamhita, Anandasamhita,
Samjhanasamhita, Virasamhita, Vijayasamhita, Vijitasamhita,
Vimalasamhita, Jhanasamhita and Vimanarchana Kalpa.

Kashyapa's works are Sathyakandam, Tarkakandam, Gnanakandam, Santhana
kandam and Kasyapakandam.

Some vaikhAnasa texts are in the possession of National Sanskrit
University, Tirupathi and they have uploaded Brhgu's Prakirnadhikara
in their website.

Regards,
Kasturi

--- In ramanuja@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, srinivasa chary <srinivasadasa@xxxx>
wrote:
> Dear Sri Kasturi Rangan,
> SrImathE RAmAnujAya namaha.
>
> I am under the impression that apart from Vaikhanasa Kalpa
sUtra literature, there are Vaikhanasa texts provided by chief
disciples of Sri Vikhanasa Muni, such as Bhrigu, MArIchi etc.
normally referred to as Vaikhanasa samhitas. I heard that they are
generally treated as authoritative texts for all practical issues of
Vaikhanasa temple rituals. Do you have any more info in this
direction? By the way, what are these "pratishThasAram and
vignyAnalalitA"? Who practises them?

> [...]
>
> amshuman_k <amshuman_k@xxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > >Vaishnava Agamas: I've heard about 4 of them -- pAncharAtram,
> > >vaikhAnasam, pratishThasAram and vignyAnalalitA.
> > >
> > >Though vaikhAnasam is termed as a vaishNava Agama, I haven't come
> > >across a text called vaikhAnasam that is strictly Agamam. What
> exist
> > >are these - vaikhAnasa srauta sUtra, grihya sUtra and dharma
sUtra.
> > >vaikhAnasa sUtra belongs to taittriya shAkhA of krishNa yajur-
veda
> > >(the most 'popular' sutras are Apastambha & BaudhAyana for this
> > >shAkha). This should answer your last question - you cannot
become
> > >vaikhAnasa just by getting trained in it. You have to born in a
> > >vaikhAnasa family (just like you cannot arbitrarily jump from
> > >following say Apastambha sUtra to BaudhAyana).
> > >
> > >The fact that vaikhAnasa sUtra deals with VishNu worship with
all
> the
> > >associated sectarian rites, it may be (rightly or wrongly)
> classified
> > >as an Agama, though strictly, it is a kalpa sUtra.
> > >
> > >(This shouldn't be surprising - Kalpa sUtras and parishishThas
> > >mention worship of sectarian deities. If I remember correctly,
> > >Ashvalayana grihya sutra mentions worship of ganesha, shiva, umA.
> > >Atharva veda parishishTha talks about skanda yaga that involves
> > >images of skanda & pAshupata vrata.)
> > >
> > >Relation between Agamas & Sri VaishNavAs:
> > >If you mean the followers of Shri RamanujachArya as 'Sri
> VaishNavAs',
> > >most probably they would be pAncharAtrins. vaikhAnaAs, despite
> being
> > >vaishNavAs, need not belong to our guru parampara.
> > >
> > >Why some temples follow one as opposed to other:
> > >I don't have concrete answers for this. Probably, the king or
> > >chieftain who built it decided this ( the availability of local
> > >brahmins to function in temples might have dictated which Agama
was
> > >favored). We have examples in history on temples that switched
from
> > >vaikhAnasa to pAncharAtra.
> > >
> > >Two different procedures or separate sects?
> > >vaikhAnasa & pAncharAtra are quite distinct.
> > >
> > >Regards,
> > >Kasturi Rangan .K
> > >
> > >--- In ramanuja@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, badri narayanan
> <b11_narayanan@xxxx>
> Vaikhanasa
> > >or Pancaratra Agamas?.

> some
> > >temples follow Vaikhanasa and others Pancaratra.

> procedures
> > >or are they a separate sects?

> temple
> > >priest?, or is there any restriction?

> > >azhwAr emberumAnAr jeeyAr thiruvadigalE saranam
> > >

> > >Yahoo! Groups Links
> > >
> > >To visit your group on the web, go to:

> > >Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
> > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

> azhwAr emberumAnAr jeeyAr thiruvadigalE saranam

Service.