You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Jul 2003

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00032 Jul 2003

Jul 2003 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

bhUtAdihi - The One who is the most desirable to the bhUtAs. The One who has
the beginning related to the bhUtAs. = bhUtaih AdIyatE upAdIyatE iti

pASuram: tiruvAimozhi - 4-2-11 (NammALwAr tiruvaDigaLE SaraNam)

samanvayam: 'The One who has the beginning related to the bhUtAs'.

He is the only refuge for all the bhUtAs. Also, He is the only capable One of
making all His seekers realize Him. He is the Only capable One of givingthe
bhUtAs a status that is equal to the nityAs. He is the One who can give that
highest status (beginning) to the bhUtAs.

For granting us such a status our ALwAr had graced us with this dasakam (4-2)
of the great TiruvAimozhi. Those who have absorbed the meaningsof these ten
pASurams are considered as close relatives by the nitya sUrIs. And they get the
highest status of sitting along with the nitya sUrIs in the front row reserved
for them. nitya sUrIs are considered to be the beginning of the bhUtAs (the
highest ones - Adi). He has and grants such a beginning to the bhUtAs. Hence He
is known by the name bhUtAdihi.

pASuram:

meliyanOi tIrkum nam kaNNan kazhal kaLmEl

Dedicated to the divine feet of Our Krishna, which are the only cure for all
sickness

mali pukazh vaN kurukUr cchadakOpan Sol

Sung by our SatakOpan, the one of highest fame from the beautiful kurukUr

oli pukazh Ayirattu ippattumE vallavar

These decad among the thousand songs on the famous qualities of the Lord; Those
capable ones who sing them...

mali pukazh vAnavarku avarnal kOvaiyE

become the kinsmen of the highly famed celestials.

Detailed Interpretation:

1) The Only cure for all diseases (sickness):

The main sickness that is troubling all of us is the entrapment in this
samsAra. It is taking us away from our Lord. Just as the sunflowers wilt on
being distanced from the sun, we are loosing our svarUpam as we are being taken
away from our Lord. To cure such a disease, the only refuge is the feet of our
Krishna. Our ALwAr is the one who adorns those SrI pAdams onhis head. Through
such NammALwAr Our Lord blessed us with this medicine called TiruvAimozhi. He
has given us a way to get to the highest position among the bhUtAs; He has
shown us the way to get to His loving embrace. He is the supreme refuge for all
the bhUtAs - The One seeked by the bhUtAs and HeHimself holds the key for
pulling all of them towards Him. That key is this TiruvAimozhi.

2) The feet of Our Lord: Those SrI pAdAms also represent the mad love that Our
Lord has for us. They are instrumental in bringing Our Lord to us. Thisgreat
TiruvAimozhi describes the vyAmOham that our Lord has towards us, inan
unparalled way.

3) Our SatakOpan, the one with unparalled fame from the beautiful Tirunagari:

Sri NammALwAr is the One whose fame is ever increasing when it comes to thelove
he has for our Lord. Such great AlwAr has blessed us with this medicine called
TiruvAimozhi. Even AlwAr?s birth place Tirunagari attained immense prominence
due to his fame. The real definition of fame and glory is being great in the
eyes of the Lord. Our nitya sUrIs are the ones with such ahighest fame.

By understanding properly these pASurams of TiruvAimozhi we will also be
blessed with such a fame. We will also become famous in the eyes ofthe Lord.

4) Of these thousand songs blessed by SrI SatakOpan:

Each and every pASuram of this TiruvAimozhi describes vividly the mad love of
our Krishna and the great qualities of our AlwAr who had developed an even
bigger vyAmOham towards the Lord. This TiruvAimozhi has the power to make us
seek the Lord with the same madness as our AlwAr did.

5) Those capable ones who can recite these ten pASurams (4-2) of the thousand:

What is the essence and greatness of these ten pASurams?

Any thing that has a bhagavath sambandham is extremely dear to me. Takea tulasi
daLam for instance. What great puNyam that soul could have earned!!. It made
the tulasi as its body and got decorated at the SrI pAda dvayamof our Lord
through the SrI hasthams of our AchArya. It has reached an abode that is
extremely desirable to our mother SrI. How blessed is that soul!? For how many
ages could that soul have done penance!. What great bhAgavatha kainkaryam it
could have done!. I feel like taking the tulasi as my idol.

Similarly blessed are the various items, flowers, vessels etc which serve the
AchArya in worshipping our Lord. Who knows which AchAryAs / AlwArs /muktAs have
made these parikarams as their bodies to serve the Lord?

To those revered ones, we shall continuously sing pallAnDu. We should worship
such revered souls as our idols. Isn?t it?

Those who cherish these divine thoughts are to be considered as the capable
readers of these pASurams. They are the true seekers of the Lord. Suchgreat
souls are blessed with the following status.

6) They become the kinsmen of the highly famed celestials:

The love that the nityAs (who are the greatest among His seekers) have towards
the Lord is always on the increase. So they keep gaining more and more fame in
the eyes of the Lord.

If we can understand and inculcate these thoughts of TiruvAimozhi, our love
towards the Lord and bhAgavatAs will be continuously on the rise. Thenwe will
be considered as close relatives by the nitya sUrIs. They accept us as their
kinsmen and give us a position equal to them. They will make us sit with them
and serve the Lord along with them. In this way we get to a rank which is
treated as the beginning of all the bhUtAs (pre-eminence amongall the bhUtAs).

Our Lord who gives us such a sAyujyam is non other than our Tirumala SrInivAsa.

(I was entering the Tirumala queue on 13/07/02 when my father finished writing
this nAma. So he dedicated this nAma to our SrInivAsa).

JAI SRIMAN NARAYANA