You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Mar 2003

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00003 Mar 2003

Mar 2003 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Dear Smt. Nappinai:

In the episode that is described by Smt.Sumithra (and often quoted
in upanyasams), the two people who were found to be quarreling,
obviously, were "well versed" in SVB but it does not mean that
they "practised" what was prescribed in it. It is one thing to be an
intellectual and have knowldege but it is another to be practising
what is learnt. Secondly, this episode shows how two independent
characteristics could be used to wrongly correlate them as one being
the "cause" for another. Therefore to put it in a nutshell, the idea
behind Periya Jeeyar's comment was only to make them realize their
mistake as Smt.Sumitra rightly put it in her posting.

Jeeyar tiruvadigalE saranam

rAmAnuja dAsi

--- In ramanuja@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "nappinnai_nc <nappinnai_nc@xxxx>"
<nappinnai_nc@xxxx> wrote:
> Sri:
> Srimathe Ramanujaya nama:
>
> Dear Smt Sumithra,
> Humble pranams to you. And as usual,your article was
> excellent(it goes without saying:-)). Please correct me if I
> misunderstood the intention of your following paragraph. Your
> statements give room for speculation that people,well versed in
Sri
> Vacana BhUShaNam,develop ego and pride(as a consequence of
mastering
> SVB). I am under the assumption that SVB is not for a layman but
for
> highly developed god-thirsty soul. If the person has not
understood
> some suthras of SVB,then it means that the person has not yet
reached
> the "requisite or required" mental state. My father always tells
> me:"SVB is not your mathematics or physics or fluid dynamics;If
you
> don't understand or misinterpret the latter,you're not losing
much.
> But if you misinterpret SVB,you will be doing an "irrepairable"
> damage to the soul that it would be beyond redemption".
>
> PS:I wonder why two people,well versed in SVB,would fight with
each
> other. I can imagine the scenario if one had and the other hadn't
> mastered SVB.
>
> AzhvAr EmperumAnAr Jeeyar thiruvadigaLE sharaNam
> NC Nappinnai
>
> > 2. Two Srivaishnavas due to ego and pride argued with each other
in
> >front of Sri Periya Jeeyer. Jeeyer kept quiet. At the same time
> >two dogs quarreled between each other. Immediately Jeeyer told
> >the dogs, "Are you two also well versed in Srivachana bhooshanam
> >have so much ego and pride to quarrel between each other?"
> >Listening to this the srivaishnavas where embarrassed and they
> >realized their mistake. In this way, Swamy had a special talent
> >overcome the bad qualities of his disciples and correct them.

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia
ramanuja-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
To subscribe to the list