You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Mar 2003

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00005 Mar 2003

Mar 2003 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Sri Parthasarathi thunai
Srimathe Ramanujaya Namaha
Dear Nappinnaiji,
Accept adiyen's humble pranams. Adiyen has translated the exact verses from
"yatheendra pravana prabhAvam". Just learning anything doesnt change anyone's
character. Instead it increases the pride inside them. Only when jnanam and
anushtanam go along with each other the person attains the actual
srivaishnavathvam. Probably the two srivaishnavas though learned werent having
the same in anushtanam, that is what mAmunigal made them realise. Mamunigal
himself says in URM "Or oruvar vundAgil aththanai kAn ullamE ellArkkum andAdha
dhanrO adhu" (everyone can read and understand but putting it to practice is
not that easy).
koorathazhvan is being praised as mukkurumbhu aruththavar as he had overcome
the vidhya madham, dhana madham and kula madham. So vidya(learning) when put
into practice gives one vinayam but on the contrary for others it gives garvam
(pride and ego) also.
Mamunigal wanted to make the srivaishnavas understand that after learning SVB
if they still argue among each other then it is equal to two ignorant dogs
quarrelling. Instead of saying it directly swamy did it in a tactful manner.
Hope this clarifies,
Alwar emperumAnAr Jeeyer thiruvadigale sharanam
Adiyen rAmAnuja dAsee
Sumithra Varadarajan
"nappinnai_nc <nappinnai_nc@xxxx>" <nappinnai_nc@xxxx> wrote:Sri:
Srimathe Ramanujaya nama:

Dear Smt Sumithra,
Humble pranams to you. And as usual,your article was
excellent(it goes without saying:-)). Please correct me if I
misunderstood the intention of your following paragraph. Your
statements give room for speculation that people,well versed in Sri
Vacana BhUShaNam,develop ego and pride(as a consequence of mastering
SVB). I am under the assumption that SVB is not for a layman but for
highly developed god-thirsty soul. If the person has not understood
some suthras of SVB,then it means that the person has not yet reached
the "requisite or required" mental state. My father always tells
me:"SVB is not your mathematics or physics or fluid dynamics;If you
don't understand or misinterpret the latter,you're not losing much.
But if you misinterpret SVB,you will be doing an "irrepairable"
damage to the soul that it would be beyond redemption".

PS:I wonder why two people,well versed in SVB,would fight with each
other. I can imagine the scenario if one had and the other hadn't
mastered SVB.

AzhvAr EmperumAnAr Jeeyar thiruvadigaLE sharaNam
NC Nappinnai

> 2. Two Srivaishnavas due to ego and pride argued with each other in
>front of Sri Periya Jeeyer. Jeeyer kept quiet. At the same time
>two dogs quarreled between each other. Immediately Jeeyer told to
>the dogs, "Are you two also well versed in Srivachana bhooshanam
>have so much ego and pride to quarrel between each other?"
>Listening to this the srivaishnavas where embarrassed and they
>realized their mistake. In this way, Swamy had a special talent to
>overcome the bad qualities of his disciples and correct them.

Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

azhwAr emberumAnAr jeeyAr thiruvadigalE saranam