You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Mar 2003

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00029 Mar 2003

Mar 2003 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Sri Parthasarathi thunai
Srimathe Ramanujaya namaha
Sri Vara Vara munaye Namaha

Sri ILaiyAzhwAr Vaibhavam-9

NArangal (all chethanas and achEthanas) have a permanent role and nArAyananis
the chief (?nArAyananE namakkE parai tharuvAn?). So a prapannan has to be
relieved of any responsibility (nirbharar). Instead, if one longs for the
results then it becomes svaroopa hAni (against his pArathanthriya svaroopa). A
prapannan need not even say that emperuman is the savior sinceby default
emperuman is the only savior and no certification of the same by the jeevatma
is required. So even saying that is against the jeevatmas svaroopam (original
characteristic).

Emperuman is not a savior like the ordinary guards we meet in the day-to-day
life who do the job for a specified salary. But emperuman saves and takes care
of all of us out of his own desire like a master taking care of his property
without the property asking for the same. We are all ananyArha seshas (by
default his dependents) to emperuman and hence without any expectations
emperuman considers it his duty to protect us.

Keenly listening to all these, the disciples further questioned Alavandaar as
follows:
?Then what is the means (upaya) for us to reach the holy lord??

Aalavandaar replied, ? If adiyen (I) advice you to consider me as the upaya and
upeya then it proves against my svaroopa. So consider the bhagavatas who remain
always under the divine feet of emperuman to remain in our minds always as the
upaya and upEya for you?

Absorbing all these in mind, the disciples remained struck with utmost grief
while Aalavandaar continued to say, ?You don?t worry, for you all, the bhOga
mandapam (Srirangam) will be thirumanthrArtham; pushpa mandapam (thirupathi)
will be charama slOkArththam and thyaga mandapam (Thirukkachchi) will be
manthraratnArththam (dvayArththam). The personalities who proved the above by
doing service to the respective emperumans were thiruppAnAzhvarand others.

Thiruvanrangapperumal araiyar with a worry filled mind said, ?When small worms
and insects still live in this world why should devareer (your divineself) who
is a guiding torch to this whole world leave from here?? Aalavandaar just
ignored the statement and remained without answering. Seeing aalavandaar?s
indifference the 2 disciples (Periya nambi and thirukkOtiyur nambi) decided to
sacrifice their lives as soon as their beloved and revered acharya Sri
Aalavandaar ascends to paramapadam.

As this decision reached the ears of Periya perumal, he called the 3 disciples,
Periya nambi, thirukkOtiyur nambi and thiruvarangapperumal araiyar andordered
as follows:
?If any of you take any wrong decision as soon as aalavandaar attains
paramapadham then it is against my wish?. Perumal then handed over the other
two disciples in the hands of thiruvarangapperumal araiyar who took then to
Aalavandaar and told aalavandaar the happenings. Aalavandaar in a toughtone
said, ? If you don?t like me attaining moksha then it is similar to one
opposing the poojas to Periya perumal. If you are going to sacrifice your lives
after me attaining paramapadham then you are acting against the practices of
our poorvAcharyas. Did uyyakondAr, manakkAl nambi and others sacrifice their
lives after their acharyas attained paramapadham? If you do that then you will
be acting against the desires of Periya perumal and all our poorvAcharyas.?

Then further Aalavandaar continued to explain the acharya and shisya lakshanas
(how a teacher and a disciple should be). An acharya should always consider
himself to be a shisya of his acharya and the shisya should consider his
acharya equal to god and hence both of them should never think themselves to be
just an acharya or a shisya to that acharya. So what is importantis you should
do kainkaryam (divine service) to the divine feet of Periya perumal and
consider the acharya to be the first, middle and last means forupliftment.
Saying this aalavandaar showed thirukkOshtiyur nambi and Periya nambi to the
hands of thiruvarangapperumal araiyar who held their hands and said, ? If you
both still have the idea of committing suicide after aalavandaar attaining
moksha then you are sure not to reach paramapadam and join the nithya sooris.
Aalavandar felt very happy to listen to this and hence he advised both of them
to consider thiruvarangapperumal araiyar as their upAyOpEyam (means and goal).

After this aalavandaar gained a little strength in his body and took bath.
Meanwhile, Periya perumal underwent thirumanjanam (divine bath) and underwent
alankAram (divine dressing) and with the srivaishnavas reciting manthras,
prasadams were offered to emperuman and the screen was opened.

(To be continued)

AzhwAr emberumAnAr jeeyar thiruvadigaLE saraNam
Adiyen,
Varadarajan Ramanuja dAsan
Sumithra Ramanuja dAsee