You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Mar 2003

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00062 Mar 2003

Mar 2003 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Sri Sangeetha & other Vaishnavas,
With all due respects. Christianity is also a strongly sectarian religion, the
famous Irish war between the Protestants and the Catholics will stand testament
for that. Even in the USA, marriages between Catholics and the protestants are
frowned. Forget the USA, even in India, they share ill-will!!
With respect to casteism in Sanatana Dharma, I guess what was laid down by
Perumal was later perverted to suit the Whims and Caprices of the
then-prevailing (upper) class. The same Perumal who spoke about the Chatur
Varnam in the Bhagavad Gita has displayed his irreverence to caste by birth in
both his leelas, as well as the leelas of his devotees. Perumal has given
Moksha even to Asuras, what to speak of the lower class people.
For the same reason, I believe that the ThennAchArya Sampradayam as laid down
by Pillai Lokacharya, Periya Vachan Pillai, Swami ManavAla MAmunigal is a
class-act. We can find even westerners becoming initiated Sri Vaishnavas,
thanks to the Catholicity of the Thennacharya Sampradayam. I have personally
seen a tamil muslim sporting a fantastic ThirumaN and reciting the 4000 being a
part of the Goshti at Thiruvallikeni.
I personally believe that Vaishnavism is all about the universal acceptance of
God, and God accepting universally. Vaishnavism is not for men born in Iyengar
families alone, if that were the case, Ramanuja and his Siddhantha would not
have become what it is today.
Talking about Caste issues, when I was new to the US for my graduate studies, I
was living with 3 "brahmin" boys who would cook egg omelette for quick meals,
what to speak of the odor!! What about "Brahmins" who booze and eat anything
and everything?? Are they the only people assured of Moksha?? Ofcourse, if
perumal uses is Nirhetuka Kripai, it is possible, but it is an another issue.
In my personal opinion, Brahmins, as a caste have issues in mingling with other
castes, just on the basis of practices, food habits and acharam being one of
them. For example, any person born in an orthodox brahmin family will have
problems in visiting a non-brahmin house where they cook meat. I personally
don't mind visiting and being close to anybody who practices cleanliness and
Vegetarianism, that is any day better than visiting a "Brahmin" who orders a
bucket of KFC. This is my personal opinion.
AzhwAr EmperumanAr jIyar ThiruvadigalE Saranam.
Dasan,
Kidambi Soundararajan.
Sangeetha <sangs5@xxxx> wrote: Dear Mr. Raman,

I would like to share one of my experiences here. With due respects to
christians I would like to mention this. This is one community which helps
in the upliftment of their fellow beings unlike our community. In any of
their organization, it is observed that they and their fellow people are
given more importance unlike our community. Many a times, I have been
puzzled by the nonchalant attitude of our people.

Thanks
Sangeetha

(Note: May I rrquest that further discussion on this topic be moved to the
sv-general list? Tbanks. -Moderator).