You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Mar 2003

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00111 Mar 2003

Mar 2003 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Rituals and their purpose

All religions have three parts 1. Philosophy, 2. Mythology and 3. Ritual.

The Philosohpy is the essential part conveying teachings on three topics
God, the world and the Individual.

Mythology is the attempt to convey these esoteric teachings through the
medium of stories, anedotes, legends etc.

Ritual is the enactment of the philosphy - the practice and realisation
thereof.

All rituals have a twofold effect -
1. They have the ability to bring about a profound personal transformation
in the individual - and this is what religion is about - actualising
"Self-transformation".

2. They have a social element in that they contribute to familial and social
cohesion and give us a chance to practice our newly aquired skills of
compassion, consideration, kindness, generosity, tolerence etc.

All the rituals that we practice have a profound philosophical base, all the
paraphernalia we use in them is symbolic of hidden spiritual truths. One
needs to enquire from a competant priest who is capable of explaining their
meanings.

Sri Rama Ramanuja Acharya

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia