You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Mar 2004

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00012 Mar 2004

Mar 2004 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Dear srivaishNava perunthagaiyeer,

Before we take up the topic of discussion, "is beauty a medicine" we will see a
"beauty" in verse again on my krishNa - one more medicinal quotes on my
krishNa.

vyaamOha prasam oushaDham muni manO vruththi pravruthi oushaDham
dhaithya indhra arthika: oushaDham thri bhuvanee sanjeevani Eka oushaDham |
bhaktha athyantha hitha oushaDham bhava bhaya praDhvamsana Eka oushaDham
srEya: praapthi kara oushaDham piba mana: sree krishNa dhivya oushaDham ||

- 24 mukundha maalaa of kulasekhara aazhvaar [ a recalling of his verse
coinciding with his birth day]

summary: The celestial medicine called sri krishNa,
*       it cures the mind of the disease of ignorance
*       it regulates the mental processes of the rishis
*       it makes those sinful chief of the evil beings roar and tear with pain.
*       It vivifies the three worlds.
*       It does the greatest good to its devotees.
*       It roots out those fears endangered by this worldly life.
*       In a world it procures your real welfare,
Drink, O, drink, my mind, of that divine medicine called sri krishNa.

See here that ashtami -eighth day born krishNa is said as 'oushaDham'- medicine
- eight times.

We saw in the previous post a question being raised is beauty a medicine.
KrishNa is medicine as stated above. KrishNa is beauty personified- any doubts
please read verse below - "A beauty is a joy forever" is the proverb. But is
beauty a medicine?

First let us see on krishNa's beauty -

thath kaisOram thath cha vakthra aravindham
thath kaaruNyam thE cha leelaa kataakshaa: |
thath soundharyam saa cha mandha smitha sree:
sathyam sathyam dhurlabham dhaivathEshu: ||
1-55 krishNa karNaamrutham leelaa sukhar

thath kaisOram - that youth
thath cha vakthra aravindham - that lotus like face
thath kaaruNyam - that sympathetic look
thE cha leelaa kataakshaa: - that playful eye sight from edge of the eyes
thath soundharyam - that beauty
saa cha mandha smitha sree: - that beauty of the smile
dhaivathEshu: dhurlabham - rare with other gods
sathyam sathyam - this is truth, nothing but truth.

Dear bhakthaas, see the assertion that beauty can not be seen in any other god
- some unique beauty. First krishNa is medicine. Next krishNa is beauty. Please
combine both - then the beauty becomes medicine is it not - now see another
verse -

bhaasathaam bhava bhaya Eka bhEshajam
maanasE mama muhurmuhurmuhu: |
gopavEsham upasEdhusha: svayam
yaapi kaapi ramaNeeyathaa vibhO: | 2.30 krishNa karNaamrutham leelaa sukhar

vibhO: - hey lord
svayam - on one's own - self
upasedhusha: - taken
gOpavEsham - the role of gOpa - a shepherd or cowherd [in the drama how
onetakes different roles like that]
yaa api kaa api - whatever or whichever
ramaNeeyathaa - the beauty
bhava bhaya Eka bhEshajam - the one medicine for the illness of the fear
ofsamsaaram - this living.
mama maanase - in my mind
muhurmuhurmuhu bhaasathaam - repeatedly shine

summary: hey lord, my krishNa, let your beauty repeatedly shine quite often in
my mind for that is the medicine for the illness of fear of samsaaram or this
living, that beauty of your gOpa vEsham - role of a cowherd - whichyou have
taken on your own.

Any doubts now? - krishNa's beauty is the medicine - not only for curing simple
ills - but that disease of repeated births and deaths. Please read it,take it
from the expert who had used that medicine. Then all your doubts will vanish.
Let that KrishNa's beauty shine every where - krishNa, krishNa.

Dhasan

Vasudevan m.g

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia