You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Mar 2004

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00019 Mar 2004

Mar 2004 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

--- In ramanuja@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, <purohit@xxxx> wrote:
> Dear Sumithra
>
> adiyen,
> please accept my humble obeisance.
>
> I have an observation that I wish to share with you.
>
> The term SOUL is inappropriate when talking in the Indian
philosophical
> context. In the Abrahmic co-alition (Christianity, Judaism and
islam) the
> term SOUL refers to something that one possesses like a dress. It
can be
> given and taken and can be bought and sold.

Dear Swami,

Humble praNAms.

A few of us including self may not be aware of the correct English
terms to be used for projecting SrivaishNavam rightly. While such
wrong usage is acceptable for Indian readers
(even "meritful", "afraiding" are OK!), we should always look toward
improving the presentation in a global dicussion group like this.

I am under the impression that you are of non-Indian origin.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Why not a few devotees like you prepare a glossary of right English
words to be used in the context of Srivaishnavism vs the wrong terms
in use? A few people like Sriman Venkatesh, Sriman Mani may host the
list in their websites.

Dasan
Vishnu

> In the Indian context the Atman is best refered to as the SELF. The
Self is
> that which possesses a body. The true essence of who we are. To the
> Abrahamic coalition the BODY is the self and the soul its gift
received from
> God. To us we are the Self and the body is the gift rceived from
God.

> These are two different and opposite perspectives which are likely
> confuse.
>
> Please forgive my presumption in correcting you.
>
> Dasanudasan
>
> Sri Ram

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia