You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Mar 2006

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00031 Mar 2006

Mar 2006 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrI:
SrimatE rAmAnujaya nama:
SrimatE varavara munyE nama:

Dear Vaishnavas,
                         I beg all your pardon revisiting this. As we are all talking about Vegetarianism, Karma, etc... where does drinking milk/dairy products fit into the scheme of things? If one considers Krishna as "veNNai uNda vAyan", it is because cows were treated well in those times, as a matter of fact, even till recent times in the Indian agrarian societies. Now, we all know the effects of Slaughter Houses and how most of the dairy farms treat cows (hormone injections, the whole "veal" industry, etc) in the US.

                       Organic milk may not be an answer because the cows are still sent to the Slaughter Houses. Little do we all realize that all the cups of coffee, tea, all the plates of Pongal, kesari, dhadhiyodhanam, etc involve animal cruelty atleast indirectly, mainly thanks to the state of the dairy industry in the US. ISKCON-run gOshAlAs are safe havens for the cows, but they are not prevalent.

                      As compassionate SrivaishnavAs, what should we do? Is veganism (totally avoiding any food/clothing item involving animals even indirectly) the best answer? This means sacrificing all the above mentioned food varieties.

                       Also, another point that has always been bothering me for a long time is the fact that even Orthodox Srivaishnava brahmins use leather chappals from BATA during Kasi Yathirai, or the leather shoes for reception, even if all the ceremonies are being held under the auspices of the Lordships and the Srivaishnavas.

adiyEn,
Kidambi Soundararajan.

Azhvar EmberumAnAr JeeyAr ThiruvadigalE Saranam
http://www.vedics.net

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia