You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Mar 2006

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00043 Mar 2006

Mar 2006 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Dear members, praNAmams

     SrI Mani has helpfully listed the shastraic references to
bathing and its importance in traditional Vaideeka lifestyle,
particularly with reference to sandhyAvandanam.

     One thing that interests me during discussions regarding
shastraic prescriptions is how much such injunctions have fallen
into the realm of theoretical knowledge - and whether it is OK to
leave them there, or whether it is actually incumbent upon us all to
follow each letter of the shastra to the last degree.

     I should make it clear from the outset that I am nowhere near
the second goal, and am not even sure I see the necessity.  But I
have this dilemma when considering different aspects of my daily
religious practice.  For example, in the discussion about bathing,
the is it possible that the frequent bathing recommended by the
shastras may be reflective of the warm climate in which vaideekas
traditionally lived?  Bathing twice in colder countries doesn't
sound quite as sensible perhaps?  It may also worsen dry skin
conditions - and despite the venerable sutra-kArAs being luminaries
of their time, did not forsee the geographical challenges that would
face us in the 21st century.

     One may not find any difficulties with the general injunctions
to maintain cleanliness, perform prayers at the right time, etc.
But I am sure there are passages of 'shastra' that some would be
embarrassed to admit actually exist.  For example, I am sure all
members are aware of some shastraic punishments prescribed for non-
traivarnikas hearing the Veda, and would agree that there is no
defense for such practices, then and certainly not now.  But
fortunately (in my opinion at least), we see most Vaadhyaars these
days not limiting the attendance of any particular community at
Vedic recitations today (let alone trying to enforce those
punishments!).  But at what point did it become OK to discard this
bit of shaastra?

    Another issue with relation to following shaastras is what my
catholic friends sometimes refer to as "good old catholic guilt".
By setting ourselves up to an unrealistically high standard, could
it not be argued that we are setting ourselves up for an emotional
and psychologically worrying state that will do more harm than
good?  Should a gRhasta of today, for example, feel guilty that his
job by which he supports his family makes him miss his midday
snAnam? Or, in fact, is such guilt merely the Lord's vehicle to urge
us to more fully conform to Bhagavaan's sankalpam and realise our
sheshatvam through steadily more and more complete observance of his
commands - and the only reason that we see such shastra demands as
unreasonable is only because of our clouded perception and
attachment to material things?

    My last question is specifically related to our sampradaayam - I
remember reading on the Bhakti list archives (thanks again to SrI
Mani!) about Ramanuja's final commands to his devotees, one of which
went something along the lines of "Do not put your conviction on
trivial shaastras, put your faith in those that deal with God" (I
can't remember the reference) - which raises the question - where
should our focus be when worrying about which bits of shaastra we
are following and which bits we aren't?  Is performance of snAnams
as outlined in the smRti texts one of these 'trivial' ones, or is it
in fact a God-related shaastra since it purifies us for His
upAsana?  Although I may be biased towards the more liberal (or
lazy, depending on your viewpoint!) side of this argument, I would
be very interested to hear people's thoughts on both sides of this
issue, if they are interested.  Sorry for the length.

namO nArAyaNAya

Ranjan

PS I was taught some Saama Vedam recitation in a traditional paaTha
shaala in Mysore where I saw some of the students performing morning
sandhyA before bath as the member originally indicated.  It would
appear that even the traditional guardians of Vedic culture have a
flexible attitude to shaastram these days...

> The lack of performance by nearly all gRhasthas today is only an
indication
> of our changing culture and circumstances and does not reflect the
mandate
> of the shastras.

Azhvar EmberumAnAr JeeyAr ThiruvadigalE Saranam
http://www.vedics.net

Yahoo! Groups Links