You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Mar 2006

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00085 Mar 2006

Mar 2006 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrI:
SrImathE Gopaladesika mahadesikaya namah:
Dearest all,

Let us continue to enjoy AzhwArs wonderful verses on
Thiruvenkatamudiayaan.

BhakthAmrutham viswa janAnumodhanam
sarvArthatham Sri Satakopa Vaangmayam
sahasra SaakOpanishadh samAgamam
namAmyaham Draavida Vedha Saagaram

Meaning ): adiyEn salutes the ocean of Tamizh Vedam ,
which is of the form of Sri SaThakOpan's vaak
(speech/aruLiccheyalkaL). These are linked to the
thousand upanishads and includes in them all the deep
meanings (Taathparyams)of Tatthva-Hitha-PurushArthams
and artha Panchakam. They are nectar to the minds of
the devotees of Sriman NaarAyaNan and they enjoy it
with relish as aparyAthAmrutham [insatiable amirtham].

Today?s ThiruvEnkatam verse is: NammAzhwAr?s
Thiruvaaymozhi 3.3.4

Isan vaanavarku enpan enRaal,athu
thEsamO thiruvEngadath thaanukku?,
neesanEn niRai onRum ilEn en kaN
paasam vaittha parancudar sOthikkE. 3.3.4

I, the Most lowliest of Lowly self of all, am calling
Him as "The Chief of NityasUris!" Due to that, - the
One who is My dearest Emperumaan and who is Most
affectionate towards me- Will His glory be NOT
belittled? (Is it a plus point for His glory? Yes.)

In 3.3.4 ( Isan Vaanavarkku enban --) : Here Azhwaar
points out that the Lord's unique trait of making
Himself readily "accessible to the lowly and
downtrodden , to the rustic forester and the nomadic
tribal---to which class I belong , having no merit--
-with which He has shown a doting love on me ,
endearing me that  way ----."

Of all the self-abasing phrases the most desperate one
is found in Thiruvaaymozhi 3.3.4.  The emotion this
phrase generates is indescribable. What the Azhvaar is
doing is dramatically illustrate (i) the contrast
between "samsaram" and "mOksham" and (ii) the natural
"vatsalyam"  of our Lord towards us.  He says, "What
is so great about ThiruvEngadavan being the Lord of
the Nithyasoories?  After all, they
(nithyasoories) are free of any sin and full of merit.
 Who wouldn't want to Lord over them?  Now, look at
me, I am the very antithesis, full of sin and free of
any merit.  Yet, the Lord loves me.
Don't you agree that?s why He is truly great?"

He is the Lord of all nithyasoories.  But that is not
impressive for the Lord of ThiruvEngadam. (What is
really remarkable is that) He, the heavenly brilliant
light, has placed His affection in me, a lowlife,
devoid of any merit.)

AzhwAr says: I had mentioned that He is chief of
Nithyasuris. Is that grand for Him? Not at all. This
lowliest self- me- in me He has such a vaathsalyam and
care; He has truly blessed me by showing Himself at
this Thirumala. This Paranchudar; ParanjOthi- That?s
why He is GREAT. This is simlar to Alavandhar?s
amaryadha: kshudhra: nrusamsa: paapishta: from
Sthothra Rathna sloka. He is the Iswaran of
Nithyasuri; but has affection and vaathsalyam on me..
In order to give sath to Them, He united with Them;
and in order to bless me and to show me His
sowseelyam., He mixed with this neechan [lowliest
one]. He granted me the desire to me to desire for
Him.. He did not mix with me to get some name or fame
or to be called so Great; Because of His vaathsalyam,
on His own, due to His very nature of being my
affectionate Father [in spite of my being lowliest],
He cares and is affectionate with me.

What a wonderful verse!
AzhwAr ThiruvaDigaLE saraNam
Regards
Namo narayana
dAsan

http://mail.yahoo.com

Azhvar EmberumAnAr JeeyAr ThiruvadigalE Saranam
http://www.vedics.net

Yahoo! Groups Links