You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - May 2004

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00014 May 2004

May 2004 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Sri Parthasarathi thunai
Srimathe Ramanujaya Namaha
Sri Vara Vara MunayE Namaha
Sri vAnAchala mahA munayE Namaha

Paasuram-16

"nilaimannum ennenjam annAndRu dEvar

talaimannar thAmE mARRAga-palamannar

pOrmALa venkadhirOn mAyappozhil maRayath

thErAzhiyAl maraiththArAl"

In the previous paasuram, azhvar talked about the incapability of those who
were unable to save even those who fell to their feet. In this paasuram, azhvar
talks about the greatness of emperuman who goes to the extent of even
sacrificing himself for the sake of his bhakthas.

(nilaimannum ennenjam) "sanchalam he mana: krishnA pramAdhi palavat drudam I
tasyAham nigraham manyE vAyOriva sudushkaram II " [geetha 6-34] Oh! Krishna
this mind doesn't stay in a place it wanders from one place to another when it
comes to satvishayams but goes and stands steady in unwanted places. It is
highly difficult to control this mind. It is like controlling vayu (air).
Azhvars call this mind as "nindravA nillA nenju". But to our amazement this
mind has now come to a stop. It has got fixed steadily at one point. Where?

(tErAzhiyAl maRaiththArAl .... nilaimannum ennenju)

"na thE roopam na chAkArO nAyudhAni na chAspadham I

tadhApi purushAkArO bhakthAnAm tvam prakAshasE II"

[(Your) divya svaroopam, divya mangala vigraham, divya Ayudams, Srivaikundam,
all these are not for you but they exist for the sake of the bhakthas. Though
you are bhakthaparAdheenan still you remain the paramapurushan] thus states the
jitantE stOtram.

"parijanapariparhA bhooshaNan AyudhAni

pravaraguNakaNascha jnAnasakthyAdhayasthE I

paramapadamadhANdAnyAthma dEhas tathAtmA

varada! sakalamEdath samsridhArththam sakarththa II"

[Oh! VaradA All your parijanas (vishvaksenar, adhiseshan and others), all your
parisadas (chatra sAmaram and others) all the abharanAs and ayudhas, jnanam,
sakthi and other crowd of divine qualities, Srivaikundam and all the andAs
(worlds), your divya mangala vigraha and divyAtma svaroopa all these have been
bestowed by you on your bhakthas] thus goes the sloka in VaradarAjastavam of
Sri KooraththAzhvan.

Listening to all these my mind which kept wandering from one place to another,
now stands still like placing a weight on top of flying cotton. This is the
state that should be attained by me after reaching the divine abode of
emperuman. But it is my fortune that I have achieved the same in this very
world. How?

(annAndru) Oh! There was one time (during the bharatha yuddha) when emperuman
landed to this leela vibhuthi easily accessible by one and all (pennum
pEdhaiyum kAnalAm padi) and worked for the welfare of his bhakthas. Azhvar
celebrates that time.

(dEvar thalai mannar thAmE) this was done not by a ordinary person but the king
of kings (dEvAdhidEvan) "thameeshvarANAm paramam mahEswaram tham dEvAnAm
parancha deivatham (sve-6-7), "rAjAdhirAjas sarvEshAm vishnur prahmamayO mahAn
I Eshvaram tham vijAneemas sa pithA sa prajApathi: II" (mahabharatham) This job
was done by that "ayarvaru amarargal adhipathi" Oh! What a divine grace
celebrates azhvar.

(thAmE mARRAga) Emperuman considered the gauravas as his own enemy though they
had enemity only towards the pandavas. Krishna himself declares,

"dvishathannam na bhOkthavyam dvishantham naiva bhOjayEth I

pAndavAn dvishasE rAjan mama prANA hi pAndavA: II" (bha-vut-24-27)

[It is not good to eat the food of your enemy. Nor should you feed your enemy.
Oh! King you consider pandavas to be your enemy. Pandavas are like my pranan
(my life)] If one hates the body then naturally he becomes an enemy to the atma
too. Emperuman is the sareeri and pandavas (all jeevatmas) are his sareeram.
"jnAnee tvAthmaiva mE matham" says geethacharyan.

(palamannar pOr mAla) Many kings who were filled with ego and pride were killed
in the war.

(venkadhirOn mAya) Even the sun whose brightness cannot be stopped from
spreading in all directions with any object was covered. "bheeshOdhethi
soorya:" due to his obedience to the ever supreme lord the sun never fails to
rise/fall daily at the scheduled time. But now even that sun had to fall in an
unscheduled time.

(pozhil maraiya) Not in one place the sun lost its brightness throughout the
world. When there is sunrise in one part of the world the sunsets in the other
but now due to bhagavat sankalpam there was a sunset in all parts of the world.

(tErAzhiyAl maraiththArAl) The lord covered the sun with the chakrAdhudhA
(rathAngam) that had brightness equal to crores of suns. When there is sudden
flash of bright light our eyes close automatically not being able to withstand
the brightness. We are unable to see a single sun with our eyes directly what
will happen if a crore of suns appear suddenly? Our eyes will be blindfolded
and that is what happened explain our acharyas. Some also say that the chakra
obtained a curse from durvAsa during the ambhareesha episode and due to which
it obtained the black colour and with the same covered the sun.

Arjuna took a vow to kill jayadradhan, who killed his son abhimanu using false
yuddha procedures (cheating) before sunset or else kill himself falling into
the fire. The gauravas kept jayadradhan inside and put strict security around
him. In order to save his bhaktha and fulfill his promise krishna who had
earlier vowed not to take any ayudha (weapon) during the war broke the same and
sent his chakrAyudham to cover the sun. Emperuman didn't mind leaving his
promise for the sake of his bhaktha. What to say about his grace!

(dEvar thalai mannar thAmE tErAzhiyAl maRaiththArAl - nilai mannum ennenjam)
The lord of the nithya soori who is celebrated as "sathyakAma sathyasankalpa:"
[one who is filled with true qualities and who has a true sankalpa (thought)]
by the vedas themselves now didn't mind to make his promise false for the sake
of making his bhaktha's words true. Even after coming to know of this how can
my mind wander from one place to another? Now I am least bothered about what
good qualities I have but my mind always stands still at the divine feet of
that supreme lord who is filled with vatsalyam towards his bhakthas.

(To be continued)

Azhvar emperumAnAr Jeeyer thiruvadigalE sharaNam

Adiyen ramanuja dAsee
Sumithra Varadarajan

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia