You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Nov 2002

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00004 Nov 2002

Sri Parthasarathi thunai
Srimathe Ramanujaya Namaha
Sri Vara Vara MunayE Namaha

SrisailEsa dayA pAthram deebhakthyAdhi gunArnavam
Yateendra pravanam vandhE ramyajAmataram munim

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Everything
 in this world is apart of emperuman. Then why are srivaishnavas special and
why should theybe respected? Let us see why.

Anything in this world is surely a part of emperuman so everyone can be called
vaishnavas. Then one may ask why should we then worship rama and Krishna alone
and not ravana and sisupala? Surely you can worship ravana and sisupala if they
accept that they are part of perumal, is the answer.

A man is lying down worried about his next meal. Underneath his bed, underthe
ground there is a bag full of gold coins, which can make him one of the richest
men in the world. But he can become rich only if he realizes that there is so
much wealth underneath his bed and take it into his possession. So the
realization, the knowledge is very important. Similarly all of us are part of
emperuman?s body only but then we become srivaishnavas only when we realize the
same.
How do we get the knowledge?
We can attain this realization only due to acharya kataksham (divine grace of
our acharyas)
But why that only a few are blessed with such acharya kataksham?

Mamunigal says that is because ?THENNARANGAR SEER ARULUKKU ELAKKAGAP PETTROM?,
we have all been blessed by Sri ranganatha with such acharyas.
Then is Sri ranganatha himself partial to bless one, with good acharya and
hence knowledge and realization but leave the others?

No. EmperumAn has a samadrishti (view of equality) towards all. He showers his
blessings equally on everyone. Let us see how. Initially all the jeevatmas lay
dormant without any life. Emperuman due to his nirheduka krupagave all the
jeevatmas chaitanyam (life) and send them to this world. He gave them the
choice of either selecting the path of jnana, bhakthi, vyrAkhyam and attaining
his divine feet or getting involved in the worldly affairs. People were more
attracted by the colorful attractive world and hence they totally forgot about
emperuman and their relationship with him. So now bhagavan, again due to his
krupai, gave the Vedas to make people aware, that the wordly pleasures are
temporary and only the divine kainkaryam to emperuman is always permanent.

But the Vedas were very complex (as the meanings were hidden) and hence
thepeople ignored the Vedas and went on in their own ways. But emperuman
thefather of the world couldn?t keep quiet seeing his kids suffer. So he
himself came down taking rAma Krishna avatars. The state of perumal in
Srivaikundam while all his kids, the jeevatmas suffered in the leela vibhuthi,
is explained by our periya jeeyer swamy as follows:

Arthi prabhandam ?5

?than pudalvan koodAmal thAn pusikkum pOgaththAl enburumO thandhai ethirAsA!?
(Oh! EthirAsA can a father enjoy a sophisticated life when his son is away and
doesn?t join him in his enjoyment? )

This we visualize even today. Many of us are in the US and our parents in
India. When a function or a festival like deepavali comes even though the
parents join to celebrate with their other sons and daughters still their minds
linger in the thoughts of the son/daughter in a far of land many milesaway from
them. Same thing happened to emperuman. He was in the moksha mandalam along
with the nithya sooris but his mind was constantly thinking about how to
uplift, we jeevatmas to his abode. So one fine day when the nithya sooris were
doing pooja to him with the dhoopam (smoke from camphor and agarbaththi) he
escaped from there and came down to this world says nammAzhvar. (soottu nan
mAlaigal thooyana vEndhi vinnOrgal nanneerAtti yandhoopam tharA nirkavE angu
mAyaiyinAl?? thiruviruththam-21). Nithya vibhuti is a land of divinity and
leela vibhuti is the most filthy and dirty place.Emperuman due to his care for
the jeevatmas came down. Can we all leave our houses and go and live in a slum?
We will immediately say ?nay! I will rather die than live in such a nasty
place? But emperuman has come down from his divine abode to the worst slum.
Why? Mamunigal answers,

Arthi prabhandam-9

?koobhaththil veezhum kuzhaviyudan kudhiththu avvAbhaththai neekum andha annai
pOl? (Like the mother who jumps into the drainage to save her kid which has
fallen into it accidentally)

We are all the kids who have fallen into this drainage of samsAram
(samsArasAkkadai). So emperuman, who is the mother of this whole world with the
vAtsalyam of all the mothers in this world put together, came down to save us
all from the miseries of samsAram.

But did perumal succeed? If so why are we all still suffering in this world?

Let us find out in the next posting.

Alwar EmperumAnAr Jeeyer thiruvadigalE sharanam

Adiyen Ramanuja Dasyai
Sumithra Varadarajan