You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Nov 2002

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00045 Nov 2002

Sri Parthasarathi thunai
Srimathe Ramanujaya Namaha
Sri Vara Vara MunayE Namaha

SrisailEsa dayA pAthram deebhakthyAdhi gunArnavam
Yateendra pravanam vandhE ramyajAmataram munim

Let us see in this posting how mAmunigal reflects madurakavi bhAvam
(?madurakvai sol padiyE nilayAgap pettrOm?). In many places we find that the
Acharya bhakthi of Sri periya Jeeyer even surpasses madurakavigal.
Madurakavigal saw his acharya nammazhvar and his greatness right in front of
him but Sri mAmunigal has such great bhakthi towards ethirAjar who lived many
many years ago. Mamunigal was blessed with such acharya bhakthi again due tohis
direct acharya kataksham (the divine grace of srisailesar, ThiruvAimozhi
pillai). And so the root of acharya bhakthi in the minds of mAmunigal was very
deep and hence can never be shaken. It is really a mammoth task to write about
mAmunigal?s acharya nishtai still let us try to do what little we can with
acharya kataksham and bhagavat krupai.

Madurakavigal starts his prabhandam, saying that he doesn?t consider eventhe
kannan who was tied by yesodha with a rope (soulabhya poorthi) as his master.
His master is none other than kurugoor nambi, nammAzhvar, on saying whose name
his tongue enjoys a divine sweetness. Mamunigal in AP-10 instructs his mind,
?Oh my mind! Live in the thoughts of my master, ramanujan, who is the divine
feet of saTakOpar, who inturn enjoys the post of divinepadukai of thennarangar,
who is the divine consort of poomagal, Sridevi. (?Poomagal kOn thennarangar
poongkazharkkup pAdhugamAith* thAm magizhum selva saTakOpar*-thEmalarthAtku
eindthiniya pAdhugamAm endhai erAmAnusanai vainthenadhu nenjE! VAzh?).
Nammazhvar wants to be ?adiyarkku adiyarkku adiyarkku adiyan? and kulasekarar
says, ?dvath brithya brithya parichAraka brithya brithya brithyasya brithya?.
Here mAmunigal wants to hold the divine feet of emperumAnAr who held the divine
feet of nammazhvar who held the divine feet of emperuman. Let us all hold the
feet of mAmunigal and join the hierarchy.

In his second paasuram madurakavigal says, he knows none other than his master
and his works (?dEvumattrariyEn kurugoor nambi pAvinennisai pAdiththirivanE?).
Mamunigal in Ap-11 requests his acharya, ethirajar to grant that state of mind,
which was shown by vaduga nambi, one direct shishya of ramanujar. (?vunnai
ozhiya oru deivam mattru ariyA mannu pugazh sEr vaduga nambi*- thannilaiyai
enthanakku neeyE thandhu ethirAsA!* ennAlum vunthanakkE Atkol vugandhu?).
Madurakavi was sure that he has attained that state of knowing nothing other
than his master, kurugoor nambi. But mAmunigal has such great nainchiyam
(considering himself low though he had all the great attributes) that he says,
even that state of mind has to be granted my ethirajar and then take me to his
divine feet.

In the third paasuram, madurakavigal says that the divine darshan of emperuman
is assured to him though he doesn?t do anything for attaining the same; due to
the relation he has with his master. Emperuman is more interested in the
adiyars of adiyars (the bhakthas who do service to bhagavatas). Mamunigal in
AP-22 says, Due to the divine blessings of Thiruvaimozhi pillai, who has a
flawless knowledge, I will overcome all my fate and will board the ship, the
divine grace of ethiraja and get transported from this samsAram to the divine
feet of mAdhavan, Sriman narayana (?theethatra JnAnath thiruvAimozhi pillai
seerarulAl* Athathtai mAttrum ethirAsar thammabhimAna mennum* pOdhaththai yErip
pavamAm punarithanaik kadandhu* kOdhattra mAdhavan pAdhak karaiyaik
kuruguvanE?).

In the fourth paasuram madurakavigal says, all the well-versed vedanthins
(scholars of Vedanta) will consider him to be inferior but kurugoor nambi
islike a mother, father and everything for him. Mamunigal in many places inAP
expresses this feeling. He says at the very beginning in the 3 rd paasuram
?thandhai nattrAi thanaiyar perunselvam enthanakku nEyE ethirAja? Oh! Ethiraja
you are my mother, father, brother and huge wealth. In AP-53,periya jeeyer
says, ?madhaththAlE valvinaiyin vazhiyuzhandru thirindha valvinaiyEn thannai
vunnakkAlAkki konda ethaththAyum thandhaiyumA methirAsA!? Oh! Ethiraja I have
been with great pride and ego and hence have been put to all the miseries due
to my fate, but inspite of my sins today you have put me into your divine feet
like a caring mother/father. And in one another paasuram, AP-26 Periya Jeeyer
says that he is so full of sins that no one including the perumal, piratti,
senai mudaliyar and other nithya sooris,nammazhvar and all the acharyas, can
ever forgive him. But only person who is capable of forgiving all his mistakes
and uplifting him to the divine abode of emperuman is Ethirajar.

Adiyen thought of completing the madurakavi bhAvam of mAmunigal with this
posting but it wasn?t possible so let us continue the anubhavam in the next
posting.

(To Be Continued)

Alwar EmperumAnAr Jeeyer thiruvadigalE sharanam

Adiyen Ramanuja Dasyai
Sumithra Varadarajan