You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Nov 2002

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00065 Nov 2002

SRIMATHE RAMANUJAYA NAMAHA
APPAN THIRUVADIGALE SARANAM.

Dear Bhagavathas, Accept my pranam.

Today is the Thirunakshatram of Sri. Manavala mamunikal ? Yatheentra Pravanar.
L.et us enjoy some of the greatness of Yatheendra and Yatheendra Pravanar.
What is the greatness of Yatheendra?
Is it his profound knowledge? Was it his skill in arguments to win over
hisopponents? (He wrote the commentary of Brahma sutra i.e., SriBhashya )
Above all, it was his intense love of humanity. He adopted sanyasa for service
to society.
He wished that all irrespective of caste ,creed, qualities or social
statusshould reach Emperuman . That is the wish of Emperuman also. He creates
the world to provide an opportunity for jeevas to get away from samsara and
reach Him to enjoy like Nitya suris.

Is there any basis for this statement?

Yes. Let us see Ramanuja Noorandhathi verse.26.
THIKKURRA KEERTHI RAMANUJANAI EN SEIVINAIYAM
MEYKURRAM NEEKI VILANKIYA MEKATHHAI. MEVUM NALLORE
EKKURRAVALAR ETHUPIRAPPU ETHIYALVAKA NINROR
AKKURRAM APPIRAPPU AVVIYALVE NAMMAI AALKOLLUME.
(The world famous Ramanuja removed my blemishes on account of my body. All
people , however the best sinners they may be, or belong to any social status,
that itself is the qualification for his acceptance to become a srivaishnavite.)
Thirukkoshtiyur Nambi appreciated this quality and he named Ramanuja as
Emperumanar.
So we can approach him easily. Yes. Not only that. He is after us. The basis
for this statement is again RM.36.

***** KASINIYOR
IDARIN KAN VEEZHINTHIDA THANUM AVVONPORUL KONDU AVARPIN
PADARUM GUNAN. EM RAMANUJAN PADIYITHUVE.
(People are suffering the ill effects of samsara. Ramanuja with the knowledge
of Bhagavat Gita are after them to redeem them. This is the (way) greatness of
Ramanuja

Kongil piratti was living in Srirangam to escape the famine in her native
place. Ramanuja used to visit the house she was staying for alms. She was
surprised to see a sanyasin follwed by great people, asking for alms. She asked
an explanation from Ramanuja. He told her that these great people are
interested in the knowledge (Dwayam) that was preached to them by him. She alo
requested that knowledge and he readily imparted that to her. At the time of
her returning to her native place, he gave his ?paduka? as momento.
Even a sinner can approach him and he would be gladly accepted by Ramanuja.,.
That is his greatness.
Again let us turn our attention to RM48.

NIKARINRI NINRA EN NEECHATHAIKKU NINARULINKANANINRIP
PUGAL ONRUMILLAI ARUTUKKUM ATHE PUGAL. PUNMAIYILOR
PAKARUM PERUMAI RAMANUJA INI NAM PAZHUTHE
AKALUM PORUL EN PAYANIRIVORKUMAANAPINNE.
(There is no limit for my base qualities. There is no other way except
yourkindness for my redemption. Why should we separte ourselves when we both
have the required qualities)

Yateendhra Pravanar, Manavala mamunigal was deeply devoted to Emperumanar.
He also says that he was also affected by the attractions of senses. He does
not feel shy for this Instead he is drawn towards sensual pleasures againand
again.
PAPA KRUTHE YADHI BHAVANTHI BHAYANUTHAPA
LAJJAH; PUNAH KARANAMASYA KATHAM GHADETHA
MOHENA ME NA BHAVATHEEHA BHAYADHILESAHA;
THASMATH PUNAHA; PUNARAGHAM YATHIRAJA KURV(Yathiraja vimsathi.11)

He feels that Ythiraja only can save him. He has the power since Thayar
andPerumal (Rangaraja) will do as Emperumanar requests.
SRTHYAGRAVEDHYA NIJA DHIVYA GUNA SWAROOPAHA;
PRATHYAKSHTHA MUPAGATHASTHAVIHA RANGARAJAHA;
VASYAS SADHA BHAVATHI THE YATHIRAJA THASMATH
SAKATHAS SWAKEEYA JANA PAPA VIMOCHANE THVAM.(Yathiraja vimsathi.17.)

Acharyas upto Ramanuja tested the aspirants to Srivaishnavism severly before
accepting them. They did not impart the knowledge easily.
???.
ERAR ETHIRAJAR INNARULAL PAARULAKIL
AASAIYUDAIYORUKKELLAM AARIYARKAL KOORUMENRU
PEESI VARAMBARUTHAR, (Upadesa rathinamalai.)
Ramanuja removed this obstacle and requested the Acharya s to impart the
knowledge to whomsoever desires it.
Thiruvaimozhi pillai, Acharya of Manavala mamunikal advised him to remain
devoted to Ramanuja and spend the time in Bhagavat Vishyam.

In vedic society, brahmin was the previlaged one to go into the inquiry of
Brahman (Easwara). Brahmin had to observe many duties and has to practise
Gnana/Karma/Bhakti yoga for realisation of God.

In Emperumanar dharsanam ALL can reach Emperuman if they have the desire
(prapatti). Yatheendra established this process and Yatheendra pravana
maintained it.

This is their greatness.

Adiyen Ramanuja dasan, T.Parthasarathy..

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia
ramanuja-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
To subscribe to the list