You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Nov 2002

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00082 Nov 2002

Sri Parthasarathi thunai
Srimathe Ramanujaya Namaha

Dear Smt. Geetha,
Adiyen will try to answer your question limited to my knowledge.
Other members of this group may be able to give you better explanations.

Qs: geetha_rangarajan2000 <geetha_rangarajan@xxxx> wrote:
1) If prapatti is not considered as an upaya and is against the
swarupa of the soul then how does one 'initiate'
prapatti according to thenkalais? Is samarshayanam not considered as
an 'action' among thenkalais?
Ans:
'Samasrayanam'is ofcourse a very important thing which is undergone by every
srivaishanava (thengalai or vadagalai). This is the time when the jeevatmas
submits himself to the divine feet of an acharya requesting him to submit us to
the divine feet of emperuman. But accepting and not accepting depends on the
NIRHEDUKA KRUPAI OF EMPERUMAN. The surrender or prapati which we do is not the
upaya but surely it has to be done. For eg, a begger comes to your doorsteps
and asks for some food. You give him food but the next door person does not.
If asking alone is the upaya then he should have got food from both the
houses. But there is one another factor responsible for him to get the alms or
not that is the mercy in the hearts of the person at whose doorsteps the beggar
stands. We are all like beggers and the sarangathi we do is like we crying for
alms but that can never be the upaya for us to get moksha as alms but only the
nirheduka krupa of bhagavan can grant us moksha.

Then why not we stay without doing saranagathi atall may be your question?
Do we go and help a beggar voluntarily without him coming and asking us?
If perumal has to maintain his samabhuddhi then he has to show something in
us higher than the others for selecting us to attain moksha.
That is why we should do saranagathi.

2) If sri is considered as a jivatma, how is this jivatma different
from others.
Ans:
The FIRST LADY of a country is also a citizen but isnt she different from the
other ladies? Surely, she is given all the honors equal to the president but
can she have any powers politically, still people go to her for
recommendations. Similarly thAyar does purushakaram on our behalf to perumal
only, she doesnt grant moksha herself. She is different from the ordinary
jeevatmas but still only a jeevatma given due respect and honored equal to that
of emperuman himself since emperuman himself has given her that position.

Hope this clarifies your doubts.

azhwAr emberumAnAr jeeyAr thiruvadigalE saranam
Adiyen Ramanuja Dasyai

Sumithra Varadarajan