You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Nov 2002

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00115 Nov 2002

Sri Parthasarathi thunai,
Srimathe Ramanujaya Namaha,
Sri Vara Vara MunayE Namaha,
Sri VanAchala mahA munayE Namaha.
Dear Smt. Raji and all other bhagavatas,
Each and every acharya in our guru paramparai have their own specialities and
talking about each one of them gives our mouth the purpose of its existence (nA
padaiththa payam). It is a great task to write about the works of Sri Periya
Jeeyer, Swamy Manavala mAmunigal (since though limited in number, the
arthapushti is beyond words), but Sri Mukundanji has really done a good job. It
is even easier to write about the greatness of bhagavan but absolutely very
difficult to write about the greatness of bhagavatas. The paasuram to which you
have asked the meaning is one such paasuram which talks about the greatness of
a great bhagavata, that too one of the greatest acharya, not only for jeevatmas
but also for Lord ranganatha himself. Anyway let adiyen try to write a few
words about this paasuram though adiyen doesn't have the vyakhyanam to the
paasuram with me now and hence the writing will be limited to adiyen's
ignorance and lack of understanding.
This paasuram (mannuyir kAlingE....) was given by one of the astadiggajas of
Swamy manavAla mAmunigal, Sri Erumbiappa. Let me first tell the excellent story
how erumbiappa became the shisya of mAmunigal. Erumbiappa was a great scholar
in all sastras who stayed in a village called erumbi near kanchipuram. At the
same time, Swamy mamunigal remained with glory, with numberof shisyas
establishing ramanuja siddAntham in Srirangam. Coming to know about the
greatness of mAmunigal, erumbiappa came to srirangam. He talked with swamy and
did get impressed by swamy's medAvilAsam but still couldn?t shed his ego and
pride. Swamy mAmunigal then requested erumbiappa to take prasadam in the mutt.
Remembering the dharma sAstram that a gruhastan should not take food in a mutt
of a sanyasi, erumbiappa refused and returned back to erumbi. The nextday when
he tried to do thiruvArAdhanam to his perumal (Rama piran) he wasunable to open
the koil Azhvar. Erumbiappa felt very bad and started thinking and wondered,
"Oh! rama what apacharam did adiyen do?" Rama replied, "You remembered the
sAmanya sastram and did apacharam to the ethi punarAvathAram, Sri Manavala
mAmunigal. Go immediately now and do apacharya kshAmanam (apologise) and accept
the prasadam" Thondaradipodi alwar in his thirumAlai says, "ponagam seidha
sEdam tharivarEl punidhamandrE". Here alwar says,even if a person who does a
cheap work (Ettiya vinaya rElum) but still is a bhakthan of perumal then it is
pure to accept his left over prasadam. When it is the case with such a person
what to say about Swamy mamunigal, a great acharya accepted even as acharya by
perumal himself. Will a shisya keep quiet when someone insults his acharya?
That is why perumal showed his anger to erumbiappa. Erumbiappa, then shed all
his ego and came accepted the prasadam of swamy mAmunigal and settled under the
divine feet of mAMunigal for ever. His acharya bhakthi could be easily seen in
his works, poorvadinacharya, uttara dinacharya,and vara vara muni sathakam all
about his acharya Swamy Manavala mAmunigal . It is not even necessary for one
to go through these sanskrit prabandhams to learn about his acharya nishtai,
just the above paasuram is enough. Let us enjoy the essence of the paasuram
briefly in the next posting.
(To Be continued)
Alwar emperumAnAr Jeeyer thiruvadigale sharanam
Adiyen Ramanuja dAsee
Sumithra Varadarajan

RAJI SRIDHAR <sridharaji@xxxx> wrote:>
> As a result of Lord's command, this is included
> as the 74th paasuram of UpadesaRatnamala
>
> "mannuyir_kAL ingE maNavALa mAmunivan *
> ponnadiyAm senkamalappOthukaLai * - unnis
> siraththAlE theeNdil amAnavanum nammai *
> karaththAlE theeNdal kadan "
>
> Asking devotees to hold on to Mamunigal's feet
> and take him as your refuge.
> As this will take you to the LORD.

Pranams

It is really very interesting to read about Swami
Mamunigal. Can someone explain more about this
pasuram 'mannuyir.....kadan'. Who are amAnavan?

pranams once again
raji sridhar

azhwAr emberumAnAr jeeyAr thiruvadigalE saranam