You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Nov 2002

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00170 Nov 2002

Sri:
Srimathe Ramanujaya Nama:

Sri Pillai Lokacharya's
Mumukshuppadi

Sutra:
85. SvarUpavirOthi kazhikaiyAvathu *yAnE nee ennudaimaiyum
neeyE* enRirukkai; upAyavirOthi kazhikaiyAvathu *kaLaivAy
thunbam kaLaiyAthozhivAy kaLaikaN maRRiREn* enRirukkai;
prApyavirOthi kazhikaiyAvathu *maRRai nam kAmangkaL mARRu*
enRirukkai.

Meaning:
The removal of the three obstacles SvarUpa virOdhi, upAya
virOdhi and prApya virOdhi are shown with examples.

Sri PBA Swami's Sarartha Deepikai:
If examples are given of those for whom these three
obstacles have been removed, then the mode of their
removal will be clear. Therefore, they are presented here.

1. To be as "yAnE nee ennudaimaiyum neeyE" (I and mine are
yours) will lead to the removal of SvarUpa virOdhi. As told
by Azhvar, to be as "yAnE enRenathE enRirunthEn" (I lived
as I and mine) is to live with ahankAra and mamakAra which
is SvarUpa virOdhi. To be as "ennaiyum ennudaimaiyaiyum un
cakkarappoRi oRRikkoNdu ninnaruLE purinthirunthEn" as told
by Periyazhvar, is to set the I and mine as sEsham to Him,
which is the removal of SvarUpa virOdhi.

2. To be as "kaLaivAy thunbam kaLaiyAthozhivAy kaLaikaN
maRRiREn" is the removal of upAya virOdhi. In the
protection of the jIva, if the jIva thinks that he too
can protect himself, that interferes with the protection
He gives; this is therefore upAya virOdhi. If the jIva
were to be like Periyazhvar "unakkup paNi seythirukkun
thavamudaiyEn; inippOy oruvan thanakkup paNinthu
kadaiththalai niRkai ninsAyai azhivu kaNdAy" and does not
seek another person's house for his protection then that
describes the state of removal of upAya virOdhi.

3. To be as "maRRai nam kAmangkaL mARRu" is the removal
of upEya virOdhi. Being in His service is the upEyam. The
obstacle to that is gaining joy for the self in that
service. Just as the moon, breeze, flower, fragrance, etc
provide joy to others but gain nothing for themselves, so
too should be the jIva. This is what is told in the
Thiruppavai pasuram "maRRai nam kAmangkaL mARRu". In the
phrase "vazhuvilA adimai seyya vENdum", the word vazhu
also means the same thing. Therefore the removal of self
intent in His service describes the state of removal of
upEya virOdhi.

Pillai Lokacharyar Thiruvadigale Saranam
Azhvar Emperumanar Jeeyar Thiruvadigale Saranam

adiyEn madhurakavi dAsan
TCA Venkatesan

Mumukshuppadi Sarartha Deepikai Series:
http://www.acharya.org/vyakyanam/mumukshuppadi/index.html