You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Nov 2004

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00025 Nov 2004

Srinidhim nidhim-apAram-arTinAm arTithArTa paridhAna dhIkshitham

Sarva-bhUtha-suhrutham DayAnidhim DevarAjam AdhirAjam AasrayE

is a slokam from Swami KurathAzhwan?s Varadaraja Sthvam.

Known as Devarajan, Devadhirajan, Perarulalan, Varadarajan of Kanchi is also
known as Srinidhi. He is the wealth of PerumdEvi ThAyAr ( Thiruvukkum
ThiruvAhiya Selvan--Kaliyan).He is like the deep mine of treasures for those,
who seek boons from Him. He has vowed to bless one with the desired goals of
life (purushArthams), when they pray for them .He always thinks about
conferring auspiciousness on animals, birds, trees, DevAs and Human beings
(Sarva BhUtha Suhruth). He is a treasure house of DayA .He is the Supreme
Master (Sarva Seshi and AdhirAjan) of all and the Emperor of DevAs (Devaraja
Perumal).

We all know that we need to leave kAma, krOdham to reach Perumal. Can He
sacrifice something for us? Yes, He did so. That was when He answered the vElvi
(yAga) of Brahma. To fulfil the wish of Brahma to worship PerumAl as
Devadhirajan, He left paramapadam and came from the agni kundam of the vElvi
thee under punyakOti vimAnam. He is the one who has taken vow to protect
everyone and grant whatever we ask. Perarulalan is not new to doing this. He
has already done that in His avataram as Raman. When Vibishanan surrendered to
Raman, Hanuman and Sugrivan were having divided opinion in accepting
Vibishanan. But, Raman did not listen to both. He had already decided to
protect Vibishana even if the latter was from Rakshasa kulam (the very reason
being Vibishanan surrendered to Raman). Here is the Rama charama slokam,

sakrudEva prapannaya davAsmethecha yAchathE

abhayam sarva bhoodhepyO dadAm yetat vratham mama

PerarulAlan is used to taking vratam to protect the people who surrender to
Him.

We, as SriVaishnavaites would not have known the greatness of Perarulalan
without our Acharyas. Vibishanan approached Raman Goshti, and hence there was
lot of confusion before Raman could clear that off. But in our case, we are in
Ramanuja Goshti, and hence we don?t have much of that chaos. Our EmPerumanar
followed a great mahAn in this Divya Desam. That mahAn was the one who
performed ThirvAlavatta kaimkaryam (visiri) to Perarulalan. He was none but
Kanchipoornar, called as Thirukkachi Nambigal in our sampradayam. He was born
in Poovirunthavalli (called as Poonthamalli, close to Chennai).

How Thirukkachi Nambigal end up doing this kaimkaryam to Perarulalan? What is
his sambandham with Swami Ramanujar?

We will enjoy the answers to these questions in following postings.

aDiyEn,

ramanan

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/.itolB/TM