You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Nov 2004

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00046 Nov 2004

After his kaimkaryam to Thayar and Perumal, Thirukkachi Nambigal came to
Ramanujar?s house late in the afternoon, and had lunch. Unfortunately,
Ramanujar was not at home. By the time Ramanujar reached home, he saw that the
house was being cleaned with water, and his wife cooking new food for him.
After hearing that Thirukkachi Nambigal had come home and had lunch, he asked
for the left over food of Nambigal. Ramanujar?s wife was very narrow minded and
struck with varnashrama dharma. Hence she had thrown off the food cooked for
Thirukkachi Nambigal. Ramanujar got really upset by this kind of treatment by
his wife.

Known as Varadan, who grants all the varams to bhaktas, He was not able to
fulfill two wishes of Swami Ramanujar, one to have Thirukkachi Nambigal as his
AchArya, and the second to eat the left over of food eaten by Nambigal. What
did Varadan have in store for Swami Ramanujar?

Ramanujar had some clarifications, and hence approached Thirukkachi Nambigal to
help him in getting the answers from DevAdhirAjan. After the visiri kaimkaryam,
Thirukkachi Nambigal was standing in front of Varadan. Our PoorvAchAryAs are
known for vairAgyam. At any point of time, they have never stood even before
Perumal and asked something. Thirukkachi Nambigal was also like that. Varadan
was able to understand what Nambigal really wanted. At this juncture, he did
second thyAgam. The first thyAgam was to descend from Paramapadam to fulfil the
wish of Brahma. More than that, now he came out of His ArchA samAdhi to give 6
most profound and very valuable statements for not just Swami Ramanujar, but
for the entire samsaric world. He decided that Ramanujar was the one who could
uplift the atmAs suffering in samsara. Here are those very important statements,

   ahamEva param tattvam (I am the Supreme truth)
   darshanam bhEdaEvaca (Difference between Supreme beings and souls is the
underlying truth, which is Visishtadvaita. This is the most fundamental concept
in our sampradAyam. Swami Ramanujar clearly highlited the difference in cit,
acit and IshwarA from vEdAs.)
   upAyeshu prapattisyAt ( SaranAgati is the best means for Moksham)
   anthima smruti varjanam (No need for final thoughts on me after surrending
to me completely)
   sharIrAvasAnE mukthisyAt (After performing surrender to me, the soul will
reach the state of mOksha after shedding off this body in this birth)
   PoornAchArya samAshraya: (Asked Swami Ramanujar to get initiated into our
sampradAyam through Periya Nambigal)

What was the third thyAgam done by DEvadhirAjan, which was also very crucial
for our sampradAyam? Let us look at the answer for this question in next
posting.

aDiyEn,

ramanan

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/.itolB/TM