You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Nov 2004

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00093 Nov 2004

sri:
Srimathe Ramanujaya Namaha:
                Humble pranam to all devotees,
Subject: Difference between 10 Azhvars prabhandam (Saranagathi)
        and MadhuravaiAzhvar, Andal, ThiruvangathAmudhanar (Acharya Abhimanam)

Ten azhvars took birth and sang in praise of Sriman Narayana.
Sri Madhurakavi azhvar and Andal's prabhandas represent Acharya Abhimanam.
the other Famous work, Ramanusa Nootrandadi is
also on Bhagavata/Achrya Abhimanam.

Let us note a difference between the Ten Azhvars prabandhams and the
two works on Acharya: Kanninun-siruttambu and Ramanusa Nootrandadi

All the songs in Kanninun-siruttambu and Ramanusa Nootrandadi
end with "E" which reveals a certainty.

Examples:  Kanninun-siruttambu
navukkE, tirivanE, nanmaiyE, nambiyE,....kanminE.

Examples: Ramanusa Nootrandadi
namangalE, periyalvE, iyalvutannE,....inpuravE, angalpaduttE,
pumannavE etc.

Why is this "E" feature predominant in these two only?

=> Apart from the meter they have been sung in.
The letter "E" in tamil stands for certainty  (avadharanam).

The poets of Kanninun-siruttambu and Ramanusa Nootrandadi
(madhuraviar and Amudhanar) are certain and confident of the
results.

>From the others work we can see they were not confident of the result.

This stands as a testimony of Acharya Abhimanams
supremacy over saranagati.

=>  There is one other feature.  (Past tense)
All the verbs used for anugraham or reaching azhvar,
in Kanninun-siruttambu are in past tense.

Examples: inbameidinEn,mevinEn,

Others mostly used future tense representing a request.
and they were yet to see the result during the outpourings,

But in the case of Madhurakavi azhvar, before he could
request he got the result without any waiting period.

=============
Message:
=============
When we surrender before bhagavan,
there could be a doubt in our mind whether he would
accept us or not.  (would the saranagathi be successful or not)

Some devotees may say,
"no no.." if the saranagathi is true, and if yo have faith,
it will be accepted by LORD:
for those devotees here is an example:

However great Bharata was, his saranagathi did not fructify.

But, no matter how mean  Guha was, his saranagati was fruitful.

We cannot decide whether we would be treated as
Bharata or Guha. It is totally dependant on HIS wish.
(HE IS Swathanthryan, we can never question his execution)

All the ten azhvars who were longing for HIS communion
lamented for years without his darsan.

If we compare ourselves to the Azhvars, where are we before them?
So there can arise a doubt, will my saranagahi be accepted?
(This thought arises due to the HIS unquestionable swathanthryam)

So what is the solution for us,
=======================
Sri Pillai Lokacharya in SV Bhushanam says, to overcome this
one has to resort to Acharya Abhimanam. This will assure us of the result.
(Even this knowledge and the resort happens by HIS Grace)

The difference between Saranagati and Acharya
Abhimanam is evident from the example listed above.

=================================
The above material is from a QA session
with Sri U.Ve. Velukkudi Krishnan Swami,

Let us learn from our Acharyas, the samradaya as
taught by Swami Ramanuja and spread this message.

We hope all our devotee friends have their Acharyas
pictures in their home (perumal Sannidhi) and chant
Acharya thanian regularly.
Please feel free to write any questions, concerns
or comments back to the list,

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/.itolB/TM