You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Nov 2005

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00134 Nov 2005

Thiru Arangan Ula- the sojourn of the Lord. ? 7. SwAmi lOkAchAryan attains parama padam.

PiLLai lOkAchAryAr was now really tired, yet he had to proceed in order to avoid the advancing Islamic forces. He proceeded to a village called jyothishkudi, which was surrounded by the Anamalai mountains adjoining thick, dense forests. They found a dilapidated mandapam (ceremonial hall), and decided to retire for the night. piLLai lOkAchAryar was really sapped- the age of his 95 years old body is catching him on. He knew it was time for him to leave his body. He was surrounded by his great disciples: vilAnchOlai piLLai, koorakulOthunga dAsar,thirukkannangudi pillai, thiruputkuzhi jeeyar, nAloor piLLai and the old lady- mother of Sri Thirumalai AzhwAn, who was later famously known as ThiruvAimozhi piLLai. He asked the old lady to fan namperumAL since he was sweating. What a striking example of devotion, even during his last moments!! He meditated on his Guru and father, Swami vadakku thiruveedhip piLLai; he observed numerous ants in the place and he touched all of them, for the sAstrAs say that any living being touched by the hands of a vaishnavA is assured mOkshA (salvation). Ladies and gentlemen, piLLai lOkAchAryan once again justified his name as the universal guru, for he delivered even ants and insects until his last moment!!

Where exactly is jyOthishkudi? I am trying to present Sri ArangarAjan swAmins VERY INTERESTING memoir (It is important to know that Sri ArangarAjan swAmin is not only a scholar, but also a researcher/historian -as a professor in a big university):

?Where is jyOthishkudi?? For generations, historians and Sri vaishnavAs have spoken about the place but none have taken the effort to spot it accurately. There have been guesses and assumptions, which are seldom accurate. I tried to locate that special place. I happened to chance upon a small village filled with trees called ?jyOthi vruksham? that have fluorescent leaves which glow in the night. The air in the village is filled with holiness, and it gives one a special feeling just to be in that village ? very serene, peaceful and divine. The name of the village is now ?kodikkuLam?; when I spoke to the village elders, it was confirmed that this town is indeed jyOthishkudi, as the word ?jyOthi? means light, and this village glows in the night because of the fluorescent trees.

Further, there was a region in the town where people are not allowed to use any footwear, and no lady was allowed to enter. When enquired, the villages replied that an ancient saint was cremated in that area in those days ? the information has been passed down generations. The village is surrounded by beautiful mountains, and the local folklore is that a group of saintly men arrived at the village carrying an idol of God by trekking over those mountains. I observed an old mandapam (ceremonial hall) behind which they have a small Vishnu temple. We proceeded to the temple, where the name of the deity is called ?vedanArAyana perumAL?.

We were amazed to see that the deity appeared  almost to be a clone of namperumAL!! In front of this deity, there was an idol of another personality. The locals believed that it was Lord Brahma. But it cannot be Brahma, for he is always depicted as the four-headed one. With the permission of the kind priest, we sought to enter the sanctum sanctorum of the small temple; I cleaned my hands and legs with water before entering. When we observed the idol up close, we were surprised to see that the dhoti of the idol was in the brammacharya (worn by celibates) style, and not the pancha-kaccham style worn by the married. It strengthened our conviction that it was indeed Swami PiLLai lOkAchAryan himself. More, the sacred thread worn by the deity was just one in number (married brahmanAs wear two) ? confirming that it was Swami piLLai lOkAchAryan. The most amazing incident was when we observed millions of ants in that region; we thought of them to be the descendants of the ants that Swami piLLai lOkAchAryan delivered by his touch.

Hence, the place where Swami piLLai lOkAchAryan breathed his last is now called, ?kodikkuLam?.

Back to the story, as SwAmi piLLai lOkAchAryan was nearing his end, he could premonition the rise of Sri Thirumalai AzhwAn and his great services to come and he gave instructions to his disciples- all instructions focused only on Sri Thirumalai AzhwAn, (who was later glorified as Sri Sailesar, ThiruvAimozhi piLLai, Sri SailanAthar. He was also the guru of the Lord?s AchAryA ? Swami manavALa mAmunikaL):

Hence, before he left, he gave clear instructions to all his disciples in order for the sampradayam to continue with its divine glory. He attained parama padam in the tamil month of Adi, on the dwAdasi day.

                 aththigiri aruLALar anumathiyOn vAzhiyE
                 aippasiyil thiruvONaththavathariththAn vAzhiyE
                 muththi neRi maRaith thamizhAl mozhintharuLvOn vAzhiyE
                 mUthariya maNavALan munbuthiththAn vAzhiyE
                 niththiyam nampiLLai patham nenjchil vaippOn vAzhiyE
                 nIL vachana bUdaNaththil niyamiththAn vAzhiyE
                 uththamamAm mudumbai nagar uthiththa vaLLal vAzhiyE
                 ulagAriyan pathangkaL UzhithoRum vAzhiyE

                                                                                        (to be continued??..)

Azhvar EmberumAnAr JeeyAr ThiruvadigalE Saranam
http://www.vedics.net

Bhagavad gita Culture Ways of
Successor Sri

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS