You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Nov 2005

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00145 Nov 2005

Sri Parthasarathi thunai

Srimathe ramanujaya Namaha

Srimad Vara Vara munayE Namaha

Sri vAnAchala mahA munayE Namaha

Paasuram-57

?orungirundha nalvinaiyum teevinaiyum AvAn

  perum kurundham sAiththavanE pEsil-marungirundha

  vAnavarthAm dhAnavarthAm tAragaithAm ennenjam

  Anavar thAm allAdha den?

Starting from ?nAnmuganai nArAyanan padaiththan? till ?anagavEl thAdaikku evarum edir ellai kaNdeer? azhvar rebutted all those who argued the equality and supremacy of the brahma rudras.  Then a new arguer emerged talking the coalescence of the trimoorthis (trimoorthi Iykyam).  He argued that since it has been told in the Vedas itself ?sa brahma sa siva:? ?brahmA nArAyana: Sivascha nArAyana:? (narayanOpanishad) [Brahma is narayanan.  Siva is also narayanan] all the three are the same entity.  Then why should we argue who is supreme? Is it not against the Vedas? In this paasuram azhvar refutes this argument and says, ?Oh you fool.  Don?t you see that the Vedas continue to say, ?brahma narayana: sivascha narayana: sa brahma sa siva: sENdra: sakrascha nArAyana: kAlascha nArAyana: disascha nArAyana vidhischa nArAyana: oordhvancha nArAyana and so on [Brahma is narayanan, siva is also narayanan, Like brahma and siva Indra is narayanan, Time is narayanan, the directions are narayanan, the subdirections, up and down everything is narayanan?.]

Thus it is seen that irrespective of the elevated souls viz, Indra and the other devas or the senseless time and directions everything is narayanan.  Then can we equate Indra with the insentient directions? They are wealth (vibhoothi), body (sareeram), created (kAryam), held (dAryam), omnipresent (vyapyam), administered (nirvahyam), ordered (niyAmyam), mastered (sEsha bhootham), part of (prakAram). Due to these various reasons they are considered to be narayanan himself.  Nothing in this world is other than narayanan declare the sastras.

(pEsil) If we start talking with respect to the sastras (pramanas)

(Orungirundha nalvinaiyum teevinaiyum AvAn) He is the one who instigates the jeeva to do the good and the bad. [?yEsha yEva sAdhu karma kArayathi yEsha yEva asAdhu karma kArayathi?] The sastras declare him to be the good and the bad deeds (punya and papa).  Then can we homogenize him with punya and papa?

(orungirundha nalvinaiyum teevinaiyum) Those good and bad deeds that do not leave us until we experience the effects.  ?avasya anubhOkthavyam? (brahma vaivarththam-prakruthi kAndam)

(perunkurundham sAiththavanE nalvinaiyum teevinaiyum Avan)  During the krishnavatara, one of kamsa?s servants, an asura took the form of a kurundha tree to kill Krishna.  With the least effort Krishna broke the tree to pieces just like child play and protected the gokula vases.  Similarly the lord is capable of removing our enemy, our sins just by a single thought ?sarva pApEbyO mOkshayisyAmi? Thus the results of the good and bad deeds are under his control thereby he himself is personified as the punya and papa.

Further (marungirundha vAnavarthAm) taking into accord the greatness of the brahma rudras in comparison to our powers it is quite natural for us to assume them to be supreme equal to emperuman.  And as per the sastras even indra and the other devas are talked to be emperuman.  But is it possible to consider all to be homologous? (svaroopa Iykyam)

(dhAnavar thAm) Even the asuras are considered to be narayanan.  Then are the asuras and narayanan equal? Can we then consider all to be equal by considering the souls to be same (Atma Iykyam)?

(tArakai thAm)The non-living things like the earth, directions are considered to be narayanan.  Then can we call the fault filled achetanas as equal to the ever fault less paramatma?

Finally azhvar declares who has taken all these forms;

(en nenjamANavar thAm) He is the one who fills my heart guiding me in the right direction.  He is my heart (manascha narayana:)

(allAdha den) what else.

Thereby in this paasuram, thirumazhisai piran thoroughly washes out the arguments of Athma Iykyam, devatha Iykyam and trimoorthi Iykyam.  Those who do not understand this will attain the same result as the kurundha tree in the hands of Krishna.

(To Be Continued)

Azhvar emperumAnAr Jeeyer thiruvadigalE sharaNam

Adiyen ramanuja dAsee

Sumithra Varadarajan

Azhvar EmberumAnAr JeeyAr ThiruvadigalE Saranam
http://www.vedics.net

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia