You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Nov 2005

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00170 Nov 2005

SrI:
SrImathE Gopaladesika mahadesikaya namah:
Dearest all,

Let us continue to enjoy Thirumangai AzhwArs wonderful
verses on Thiruvenkatamudiayaan.

kalayaami kalidhvamsam kavim lOkadhivaakaram
yaSya kObi: prakaaSaabir aavidhyam niHatham thama:

I meditate on the Poet, who is like the Sun for the
whole world, to destroy the darkness of ignorance
(a~jnAnam) with his word and who destroys the Kali
dhOsham.

ThirumangaiAzhwAr proceeds to plead the Lord of
TirumalA for His unbounded limitless mercy that pours
out on His own -out of His Greatest compassion on us.
Let us enjoy this nice ten on AzhwAr's plea.

vanNdhaayenmanampugunNdhaay manninNinRaay,
nNanNdhaadhakozhuNYchudarE yengkaL nNambee!,
chinNdhaamaNiyE thiruvEngkadammEya
enNdhaay!, iniyaanunnai yenRum vidEnE.   1.10.9

Oh Lustrous light which never ever dims and
extinguishes! Oh Lord- the One who alleviates our
sorrows! Oh Lord- the One who is capable of ANYTHING
AND EVRYTHING THAT we seek for(including Paramapadha
vaasam)!Oh perumAnE! ChinthAmaNI! The One who is at
ThirumalA! my Lord! You came to me; You entered into
my heart (out of Your Greatest Compassion and dayA!);
You stayed there; and NOW adiyEn (I) shall never ever
LEAVE YOU. (I simply can not resist my temptation of
re-writing the transliterated version here breaking
the lines- for its superb, simple style and lovely
meanings! Read and enjoy!)

"vandhaay; en manam pugundhaay; manni ninRaay/
nandhaadha kozhu~n chudarE! ye~ngaL nambhI!/  chinthA
maNiyE! ThiruvEkatam mEya/ endhaay!  ini yaan unnai
yenRum vidEnE!/"

This is similar to PeriyAzhwAr?s Thirumozhi 5.3.2: and
NammAzhwAr?s ini naan pogalottEn

vaLaiththuvaiththEn_inippOkalottEn ?
thirumaalirunchOlaiyendhaay! 2.

[I can go out someway or the other; If you do not let
me go, I will hide myself here without being seen by
you at all.- Says PerumAL. AzhwAr swears on PerumAL in
this pAsuram] My Father! The Lord of
ThirumalirunchOlai divya desam full of sacred ponds of
clear waters, the sprinkling of which can cleanse of
one from all sins! People from all cities, all places
flock here at ThirumalirunchOlai to get their sins
removed with such sacred waters. I have surrounded You
and captured You in my heart. Hereafter I would never
let You leave from there. If you attempt to hide
Yourself there itself not showing yourself to me, then
let me swear on You and Your divine consort.
(nin thiru ANai) [Unless I do that] You, (who can not
bear to see
Bhagawathas suffer} are so mysterious and mischievous
and do not show Your true form to everyone.

This line of swearing on the Lord and His divine
consort (nin thiruvaaNai kaNdaay) is similar to
NammAzhwAr?s ini naan poGalottEn; onRum maayam seyyEl
ennaiyE.. maayam seyyEl ennai, un thirummarvatthu
maalai nangai.. vaasam chey poonkuzhalaaL ThiruvaaNai
ninANai kaNdaay..  [what a wonderful pAsuram and
lines! ]

Thirumangai AzhwAr ThiruvaDigaLE SaraNam
Regards
Namo Narayana
dAsan

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs