You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Nov 2005

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00181 Nov 2005

Dear sir,

     The following verses are more general verses that pay respects
to the guru parampara which are often used in Sri Vaishnava worship:

lakShmiinaatha samaarambhaam
naatha yaamuna madhyamaam
asmad-aacaarya paryantaam
vande guru paramparaam

which, I guess, pretty clearly refers to "the lineage starting with
the Lord of Lakshmi (i.e. NaaraayaNa) that comes through Naathamuni
and Yaamuna muni up to our present aachaarya" or something along
those lines.

Another is:

yo nityam acyuta padaambuja
yugma rukmavyaamo hadastaditaraaNi
tRNaaya mene
asmad guror bhagavato'syadayaika sindho:
raamaanujasya charaNau sharaNam prapadye

which translates (according to Mani Varadarajan, taken from the
bhakti list archives)

        I take refuge at the feet of our guru Bhagavaan
        Ramanuja, that ocean of mercy who, infatuated
        with the gold-like, lotus feet of the Lord,
        considered all else as mere blades of grass.

Hope this helps.  I too am not yet affiliated to any matham or
aacaarya (apart from by family) and usually recite these before
worship.

By the way I noticed from a previous mail that you are from the UK -
may I ask whereabouts?  (I was born and raised in the UK) I am
intrigued that you developed an interest in Srivaishnavam being from
Gujarati background - a number of my Hindu friends at university are
gujarati and so I am familiar with a few bits of gujarati culture
too.  Feel free to contact me off list if you wish,

praNAmams,

Ranjan Vasudevan

(Sorry btw I was not familiar with what exactly 'mangalacharana'
refers to - is this a term used in ISCKON or gujarati worship?  Or is
it used in southern indian style worship too?)

--- In ramanuja@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "tesh_tel" <tesh_tel@xxxx> wrote:

> JAI SRI KRISHNA!!
>
> Dear Vaishnavas, are there any standard Sanksrit verse i can chant
> praise the Guru parampara before doing bhajans, japa etc....  I am
in
> the very preliminary stage of Sadhana, so i do not have
affialiations
> to any math or specifis Arcaharya lineage, so if any recogmentded
> slokas could be universal to all Srivaishnava Branches and kalais
that
> would be good.
>
>  Also do the Srivaishanas have a standart Mangalcharana prayer
before
> doing any puja, bhajan, japa and prayanam..
>
> ( for example the iskcon devotees chant the following manglacharana
> prayer before worship.: vande 'ham sri-guroh sri-yuta-pada-kamalam
sri-
> gurun vaisnavams' ca sri-rupam sagrajatam saha-gana-
raghunathanvitam

http://us.click.yahoo.com/WpTY2A/izNLAA/yQLSAA/.itolB/TM