You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Nov 2005

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00227 Nov 2005

sri:

Dear Devotees:
Ramanujacharya's bhasya on the Bhagavad Gita chapter  9, verse 14

satataM kIrtayanto mAM
yatantazca dRDhavratAh
namasyantazca mAM bhaktyA
nityayuktA upAsate

Engaged always in praising me,
And striving ever, firm in vows,
Always attuned, and reverent,
They truely worship me with love.

Because of My being their extremely dear beloved object they praise Me, strive to attain Me and bow to Me in reverance, without which they are unable to sustain their lives even for the fraction of a moment, and so remembering My names, connotive of my special attributes, they cry out My names, with horripilation all over the body and the voice choked with intense delight - Sri Rama, Narayana, Krsna, Vasudeva etc. thus engaged always in praising Me

In reference to "remembering my names, connotive of my special attributes"
Sri Vaisnavas practice chanting Visnu Sahasranama and offering arcana by reciting Lord's different names.

Sri Vaisnava say that, by chanting the different names the mind is engaged more easily in remembering (smarana) the specific attributes of the Lords names.
Chanting Lord's various names certainly helps keep one's concentration and focus.
Of course Sri Vaisnavas also do mantra japa (repetition of the same mantra)

Adiyen dasanudasan

Azhvar EmberumAnAr JeeyAr ThiruvadigalE Saranam
http://www.vedics.net

Bhagavad gita Culture Ways of
Successor Sri

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS