You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Oct 2001

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00040 Oct 2001

srImathE rAmAnujAya namaha

Humble pranams:

===AdiyEn is about to put this article (origianlly sent to other lists) up at
our Web Site. Please add/Correct any inconsistencies.===

Some basic queries
- ThirumaN shapes and why we wear?

Vaishnavas (Worshippers of Vishnu as the Supreme) wear on their bodies the
LORD's external symbols.
There are several groups of Vaishnavas,
srI Vaishnava, Chaitanya, Vallabha, ISKON Vaishnavas (fast growing).

Among these srI Vaishnavas have their faith in Bhakti & Prapatti
for/to srIman nArAyanA (MahaVishnu & MahaLakshmi), and
wear on their foreheads the mark of the feet of the LORD, in the vertical
position.

Works like Padma Purana, Marichi, Pancaharatra, Viakhanasa, Parameswara samhita
etc explain clearly how the feet of the Lord should be worn on the forehead.
They do not though explain the details of the shape very clearly.
They do give about 25 objects, which the "Lords feet" should resemble, all
these shapes and forms have the authority of the shastras.

These 20 to 25 forms can be reduced to two forms, one resembling the english
letter "Y" and the other "U"

Minor Vedantic differences existed between scholars, subsequent to the age of
Purvacharyas, which formed into Vatakalai & Thenkalai groups.
Both groups wear the "Lords feet" of different forms U & Y, but they both will
quote the same Pancaratra samhita sloka as authority.

Both Y & U denote both the feet of the lord (Charanao, is Dwithia vibhakti)
Swami Venkata Nathar in "Saccaritra Raksha" explains that the Mark worn on the
forehead of Vaishnavas should not be designated by the name, but be designated
"HARIPADAKRITI" The shape of the feet of Hari. (He does not say Y or U)
If there had been any conrtoversy over this at that time, swami Venkata Nathar
would have mentioned this in his work.

There are Vadakalai scholars who have their reasons for why U stands only for
one foot of the Lord. (adiyEn is not knowledgeable in this aspect.)

So all the controversy we see over Y & U does not have a basis,
as different forms of the Lord's feet have been sanctioned by the Sastras.
No difference or quarrel should arise on this account. (Shape of Feet of the
Lord)

There is a difference in Y and U shape. This mainly arises from interpretation
of the same sloka that both groups agree on. In the Phrases : Arabhya Nasika
Mulam :

Nasikamulam arabhya: "nasadikesa paryantam, anasamulam-arabhya" - From
Pancarathra Samhita

1st Interpretation (Literal meaning ) Followed by U mark.
Adi and Mula indicate the Space between two eyebrows, Nasanta (Nose Tip)

"Feet of the Lord" is from the space between the eye-brows - Bhru Madha
to the end of the Hair - Kesanta.

2nd Interpretation (Technical interpretation) Followed by Y mark.
Since Pancaratra samhita is a highly technical treatise (Not a literary work)
the Y groups feels technical interpretation is more appropropriate

Nasikamula is one word and not Two words , same as nasamula is one word

The nose is divided into two parts :
The soft portion of the nost from the tip : Madhvasti
Over the Madhvasti, The Hard Part : Nasikamula (or Nasamula)

The Y shape comes as the Mark should commence from the "Hard part" of the nose

Vikhanasa muni :- (Wearing Y Shape) in most Indian Temples.
adiyEn has had long dicussions about this with the Thiruvallikeni Chief Priest,
Vaikhanasa Scholar.
Swamin has quoted some Vaikhanasa slokas and explaines the
bottom part as the Stand for the feet of the Lord, as you would not want to
just make Maha Vishnu & Lakshmi sit on the floor, you always put a stand on
which you will have them grace.

A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada: (Wear Y shape in all cases)
Since you see the Y shape on all the ISCON followers and HH A.C.B Swami,
adiyEn asked some of his followers for the reasons for the Y shape on their
forehead
All they said : it is per our acharya and his words on this are as per Puranas.

Now the Presence of MahaLakshmi between the feet of the LORD is acccepted by
both U & Y (Tiruppolinda sevadi yen seeninyin mer porittai - PeriAzhwar)
Lakshmi is represented as Sre:Churna. This is Turmeric (yellow in color) made
red during manufacture.
According to Pancaratra, in the mystical diagram representing the Lord's
position of Lakshmi is marked red. Thenkalais and some of the Vadakalais have
adopted the red color for sre:churna.
The other part of Vadakalai use the Yellow color and they also have authorities.
"Hiranya Varnam Harinim ...." Golden Color
Follow up questions that will come up: (More relevant )

Q. Why we wear Thiruman:
A. To take the feet of the Lord on our forehead and other parts
(To indicate we are HIS servants)
Q. Why do we do that. ?
To make our body a temple for srImannArAyanA (srI & Narayana)
and to identify us as HIS property.

With this we realize & act in accordance to the Lord and are guided by HIM
: in our Heart we always have HIM; all our physical actions (On Shoulders we
have his sign)
; in speech we are guided by HIM, in thought we are guided by HIM.

"Selfless service" to the Lord and his devotees is the main goal (with total
surrender)

Q. Why do we put Thiruman on the Lord: (Why put the feet of the Lord on the
Lord?)

Lord wears Thiruman as the indication of the ayudhas (weapons)
(some scholars say to protect devotees, and universe etc)

Also to identify with other devotees as you are one of us.

adiyEn prays to Lord SrImannarAyanA and Purvacharyas to help with the
spreading of srI Sampradaya all over the world, without any divisions
or quarrels between Y & U, without any concern about caste & race,

So all beings can enjoy the divine bliss of experiencing srIvaishnavism
and fulfil purpose of life.

We also pray for SadBuddhi so we all treat ALL devotees with utmost respect and
regard. (treat devotees as you would treat the Lord Incarnate.)

If anything is wrong in this mail it is adiyEn's fault in understanding our
Acharyas and their works.

azhwAr emberumAnAr JeeyAr thiruvadigalE saranam

adiyEn rAmAnuja dAsan
Mukundan Vangkipuram Pattangi
http://www.radioramanuja.com

Home Page