You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Oct 2002

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00012 Oct 2002

bhUta bhrut (star-Ashwini)

bhUtAni bibharti iti = The one who bears/sustains all the bhUtams.

pASuram - Tiruccanda viruttam - 8 (TirumazhiSai AlwAr TiruvaDigaLE SaraNam)

samanvayam with pASuram :

Maintaining this body is a highly difficult task compared to creating it. All
the bodily needs must be continuously fulfilled again and again, without a
break. You have given me this body and are maintaining it continuosly. You keep
maintaining all the universes like this without a break and you endure enormous
strain in the process. There is no one in all these universes (however powerful
he might be) who is atleast competent enough to measure the magnitude of this
huge task which you are carrying out. Whom else other than you can I call by
the name bhUta bhrut, O my Lord!!!

pASuram :

AdiyAna vAna varkum - To the first person, Brahma

anDamAya appurattu - To the world of paramapadam

AdiyAna vAnavarkum - To the paramount nityAs

AdiyAna Adi nI - You the foremost supreme controller.

AdiyAna vAnavANar andakAla nI uraitti - You can tell the ending time of the
foremost like Brahma

AdiyAna kAla ninnai | yAvar kAna vallarE

Who can tell about you, who are the supreme controller (the kAlam/time)

Detailed explanation :

1) To the foremost like Brahma :

For maintaining my body for 100 years, so many basic necessities have to be
fulfilled continuosly. It takes a lot to maintain this body over its full life
span. Then, what to say about the huge life span of the creator, Lord Brahma.
You are fulfilling all the necessities of Sri Brahma and are sustaining him,
the creator. In this way you are taking care of all these universes.
Definitely, only you can be called as bhUta bhrut.

2) To the world of paramapadam and to the paramount nityAs :

Coming to the paramapadam, you are the prime source for it and the nityAs
present there. You are simultaneously sustaining the entire nitya vibhUti too.
If sustaining Lord Brahma is itself out of the reach of our imagination, what
can we say about the nityAs and paramapadam. They have the divya SarIrams given
by you and which are totally bhOgyam to you. Each of them totally depend on you
and long for your service continuously. You keep giving each one of them, a
complete (100 percent) Anandam of total association with you and your service
continuously.

One remembers the rAsa krIda episode of Lord Sri Krishna, which extrapolates to
the situation in paramapadam and gives us some clue about that nitya vibhUti.
Each gOpi was extremely intent on a total communion with the Lord and the Lord
was with each one of them in all His completeness. He was one hundred percent
in all the forms He took and gave total Anandam to all the gOpIs
simultaneously. Such an astonishing Lord, such an act is possible only for you.
You keep giving the Anandam perennially to all the nityAs and muktAs. Thus you
sustain the paramapadam.

3) You are the foremost supreme controller : You are the only one in all these
universes, who is capable of and is fulfilling the needs of all beings and
sustaining them simultaneously and continuously. Thus, only you are the supreme
controller of all. You thus make everybody accept your supremacy.

4) You can tell the ending time of the foremost like Brahma : This clearly
tells that, only you are the 'bhUta bhrut'. For you are the beginningless and
endless. There is an end to even the foremost like Brahma and the other
deities. So, even if for a second, one thought that one of them might be the
bhUta bhrut, they are proven wrong. For maintaining all these beings
continuously, the one who does that job should be existing always.

5) Who can tell about you, who are the supreme controller (who are above all) :

How can anyone of us who stays in a SarIram, only for a limited time, tell
about you, the ever existing one?. You are not reachable by thought, speech and
vision. But, you make yourself easily available to us, seeing that we cannot
know you with our efforts.

Still, Unfortunately, most of us do not even make an effort to realize this
immense love that you have for us. Many a times, we equate you to a normal
human being, one amongst us. We hate you, show disrespect to you. But, you
never bother about all these. You keep maintaining all of us and all these
universes, enduring a lot of pain in the process. If one amongst us recognizes
you and lovingly calls you, you forget all the pain in a split of a second and
lovingly reciprocate. What mad love this is?.

Certainly my Lord, you are the one and only bhUta bhrut.

Jai Sriman Narayana