You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Oct 2002

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00077 Oct 2002

Sri:
Srimathe Ramanujaya Nama:

Dear Sri Parthasarathy Swamin,

adiyEn's praNAms.

As I said before, the contention is that events do not
happen unobserved. Now, we all know that many events
happen unoobserved by us. However, the fundamental
nature of this claim is that even those events had an
observer.

Let me illustrate one more thing. We all believe that
observed events can happen without any input from the
observer. That is, an event can be fully independent
of the observer and this is true at the macroscopic
level. However, QT states that an event cannot occur
without interference from an observer. That is, by the
very nature of observing, the observer has influenced
the event and changed it.

So, we have that events are influenced by the observer.
Now, this is the tricky part. From here, we go to the
philosphical step that all events are influenced by
observers. And then to the fact, therefore, that without
an observer there is no event.

So, the key here is that there is no such thing as an
unobserved happening.

An aside:
The beauty here is that we all know that there is an
Universal Observer, who is Sriman Narayana who is
witness to every event, being the antaryami of
everything and having this universe as His sariram.

Tachyon is a theoretical particle that has been
suggested by some physicists. Einstein's relativity
theory precludes any physical entity from accelerating
to speeds greater than that of light. But it does not
preclude a particle from naturally traveling at greater
speeds. The postulate of tachyon uses that to claim
that this particle always travels at greater speeds.
So, you can think of it as three bins: bin one is
particles with speeds less than that of light, bin two
is particles with speed equal to that of light (that
is, light itself) and bin three contains the tachyons.
Note that there is all kinds of issues with this
particle that doesn't fit in with any known laws of
physics. So, it is a matter of scientific and
philosophical debate. The irony is that there are
some physicists willing to allow particles to break
their own postulated laws of physics but are not
willing to allow religious principles.

Do guesses have a role to play in science? Absolutely,
as long as it is called probability :-). Because of
the wave-particle duality, there are an infinite number
of situations that can happen (for example, the cat can
simply fall out of the box by a random event), with
varying probabilities. The highest probability event(s)
are the ones of course most likely to happen and be
observed.

By the way, there is a book called Tao of Physics that
you might be interested in. which deals with quantum
physics and ties it up to religious principles found
in eastern philosophies such as in the Upanishads as
well as in Buddhism, etc.

AdiyEn does not want to dwell too deep into this subject
as it gets deeper into matters that may not be in tune
with this group's stated direction of studying Ramanuja
Darshanam. I will leave it to the moderators to decide
on this line of dicsussion.

adiyEn
TCA Venkatesan

--- thirunarayanan parthasarathy iyengar