You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Oct 2003

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00023 Oct 2003

srI:
srImathE rAmAnujAya namaha

Tiruppavai - Pasuram 1 : nAmA 3 : kArmeni

maargazhith thingaL madhi niRaindha nannaaLaal*
neeraadap pOdhuveer pOdhuminO nErizhaiyeer*
seer malgum aayppaadic celvac ciRumeergaaL*
koorvER kodunthozhilan nandhagOpan kumaran*
Eraarndha kaNNi yasOdhai iLam singam*
kaar mEnic sengaN kadhir madhiyam pOl mugaththaan*
naaraayaNanE namakkE paRai tharuvaan*
paarOr pugazhap padindhElOr embaavaay.

In the first pasuram, AndAL glorifies the following nAmAs : 1. nandhagOpan
kumaran, 2. yasOdhai iLam singam, 3. kAr mEnian, 4. sengkannan, 5. kadhir madiy
am pol mugathan, 6. nArAyanan

The third nAmA is "kArmenian". His body is as black as dark clouds. He is
always ready to show his karunyam (ready to bless) to bless us. Swamy Pillai
LokachAryar in his masterly piece of Sri Vachana Bhooshanam notes "avan (HIS)
ninaivu thAn (rememberance) ivan pal (on samsarIs like us) eppodum (always)
undu (is there). adu (that) palippadu (gives fruits) ivan (our) ninaivu (we,
remember towards HIM) marum pOdu (changes). HE always remembers to grace us.
That can happen only when we start to remember HIM.

AndaL in her later pasuram sings "Etra kalangaL edhir pongi meedhalippa". When
we keep vessels below cows, it pours milk which will overflow the vessel. It
doen't expect anything in return, it is its svabhAvam (nature). Keeping the
vessel is important, otherwise we will be deprived of the milk. Even if we
don't keep the vessels, cows always have (produce) milk.

If the Lord has karunyatvam, who don't HE pour even without being asked by
jivatmas ? Whether we ask the dark clouds to pour rain ? Atleast, we don't
object for pouring the rain. The Lord expect atleast that apEkshai (do not
refuse) when he comes to bless us. Thondar adi podi azhwar in his tirumAlai
pasuram "maram suvar madhileduthu" says "we have built a fort (made of adharma)
not to let god inside ourselves". Krishna went behind cows, not that they asked
him to come, but they never refused his coming behind them.

The next nAma sengkaNan, andAl praises his quality of mArdhavam (to be
continued)

namO nArAyanA

G. Sundarrajan

Home Page