You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Oct 2003

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00027 Oct 2003

srI:
srImathE rAmAnujAya namaha

Tiruppavai - Pasuram 1 : nAmA 4 : sengkaNan

maargazhith thingaL madhi niRaindha nannaaLaal*
neeraadap pOdhuveer pOdhuminO nErizhaiyeer*
seer malgum aayppaadic celvac ciRumeergaaL*
koorvER kodunthozhilan nandhagOpan kumaran*
Eraarndha kaNNi yasOdhai iLam singam*
kaar mEnic sengaN kadhir madhiyam pOl mugaththaan*
naaraayaNanE namakkE paRai tharuvaan*
paarOr pugazhap padindhElOr embaavaay.

In the first pasuram, AndAL glorifies the following nAmAs : 1. nandhagOpan
kumaran, 2. yasOdhai iLam singam, 3. kAr mEnian, 4. sengkannan, 5. kadhir madi
am pol mugathan, 6. nArAyanan

The fourth nAmA is "sengkaNan". This nAmA can be read as "sem kaNan", one who
has beautiful eyes (pundarIkashan) like lotus flower. sengkaNan literally means
"red eyes", which shows HE is patiently waiting (without sleeping) for these
jIvatmas to come to his abode, shows his mArdhavam gunam, which means dislike
of seperation from devotees.

Sri Parasara Bhattar (as purohita) in his tirumanjana kattiyam (recited even
today during tirumanjanam of Nam Perumal in Sri rangam) sings a dialogue
between a jIvatmA and the Lord.

Lord says to jIvatma : tvam mE (You are my property)
jIvatmA replies : aham mE (I am of my own)
Lord asks : kutas tath (How do you say this)
jIvatmA replies : tadApi kutha (What is the basis of your claim)
Lord asserts : idam vEda moolam pramAnAth (This is mentioned in the vedas)

The dialogue continues. The Lord after saying tvam mE (You are my property)
atleast expects the jIvAtmA (as mad people repeats what others say) to repeat
tvam mE (You are my property). Instead, Lord claiming this jIvAtmA to be his
property, agrees to allow the jIvAtmA to claim Lord as jIvAtmA's property, so
that atleast a relation will come into existence. Instead, this jIvAtmA claims
that there is no relation between us, you are yours and I am mine of my own.
Due to this seperation, Lord's eyes are reddish.

The gOpikas were seperated by their parents not to see Krishna, his eyes were
red. But, today, since there were no rains in gokulam, the aaypadi residents,
asked the gOpikas to perform this vratam, so that Krishna himself will bless
them with rain.

The next nAma 5 "kadhir mathi am pOl mugathAn", andAL praises his quality of
sthairyam (steadfast in his vratham) (to be continued)

namO nArAyanA

G. Sundarrajan

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia