You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Oct 2003

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00037 Oct 2003

Dear Bhagavatars,

re venerable NC Nappinai's arguments. Using scientific metaphors and
similies doesn't work here. One needs to look at the evidence and draw
conclusions, not fit the evidence to the scholastic conclusion. I think that
this is what we tend to do as Vaishnavas.

Objectively, all the "Vedic" evidence points towards a "nameless" Supreme
Being who can be called by whatever name one choses. Hence the various sects
can quite justifiably use the very same Vedas to support their claim of
sectarian monopoly on God.

The problem is the framing of the thesis. If we declare subjectively - "I
BELIEVE that the Supreme Being is Sriman narayana only" - then there is no
argument because it is a personal conviction. But when we declare
objectively - "THE SUPREME BEING IS NARAYANA ONLY" then we need to provide
objective Scriptural evidence to convince others. And I'm afraid such
exclusive evidence is lacking otherwise every Vedic scholar including
Sankara Acharya, Swami Dayananda, Tilak, Aurobindo and others would have
come to the same conclusion.

Adiyen

Sriram

Home Page