You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Oct 2003

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00159 Oct 2003

 REJECTING THE LORD

There has been a discussion going on in this forum regading sri rAmAnuja being
more compassionate than the Lord HImself. This has to be seen from two angles.
One is that this being dealt in irAmAnusa nURRandhAdhi and it is but natural
that the poet talks high regarding the subject matter of the poem. The Second
fact is that the Lord feels happy on showering praise on His devotees which is
the fundamental of our faith. bhAgavatha shEshathavam.
With this background, I recall two irAmAnusa nURRandhAdhip pAsuram to expalin
this point.

thirukkuRaL says " inia vuLavAga, innAdha kURal, kani iruppak kAi kavaRndhaRRu"
Talking ill is akin to rejecting the fruit when it is available.

Can anybody reject fruit, when it is available? The Lord is the supreme fruit.
Is there any precedence of HIm being rejected?

Yes. nam AzhwAr has rejected HIm. He rejected parathvam preferring the Lord of
thiru-vARan viLai. This is a case of preference of
arfchAvathAram to parathvam. This is also understood from AchArya Hrdyam
sUthram 171 -parathva vimugam Akkum- indifference towards parathvam occurs for
AzhWar who is turned towards this dhivya dhEsam- sindhai maRRondRin
thirathadhallAl thanmai -thiru voi mozhi 7-10-10.

Is there any other precedent of rejecting the Lord. Yes. sri madhurakavigaL
preferred nam-AzhwAr to the Lord. "dhEvu maRRaRiyEan" were his words. He did
not have any other Lord other than nam-AzhwAr. This is our philosophy
-bhAghavatha shEshathvam.

Extending this principle thiru arangathamudhanAr in his irAmAnusa nURRandhAdhi
in two of his pAsuram-s prefers sri rAmAnujA to i. archai Lord and ii. vibhavam.

" seiththali sangam sezhumutha mEnum, thiruvarangar
kaithalathAzhum sangamum yEandhi,nangaNmugappEa,
moithalaithu vunnai vidEAn enRu irukkilum,nin pugazhEA
moithalaikkum vandhu, irAmAnusa ennai muRRum ninREA" irAmAnusa nURRandhAdhi 75

Even if the Lord of thiruvarangam with His dhivyAyudham-s sangam and chakkaram
appears in person and challenges that I will not leave you -still only sri
rAmAnujA's auspicious qualities will weigh heavily on me.

The point here is, even in the event of Lord being available readymade, only
sri rAmAnujA is preferred. A case of rejection of archai-thiruvarangam-Lord
preferring AchAryan.

The next pAsuram taken up here is

"kayil kani enna kaNNanai kAttith tharinum, vundhan meyyil piRangiya
sEranRi vENdilan yAn...." irAmAnusa nURRandhAdhi 104

Even if Lord krishNa is presented on a silver salver I want only the dhivya
mangaLa vigrahA of sri rAmAnujA. Only the splendour of His thirumEani attracts
me. It reminds me of his auspicous qualities. This is a clear case of rejection
of Lord KrishNA in preference to our AchAryan.Here a question is raised that
the LOrd who is the means and end is being rejected and whether this is correct?
Though Lord krishNA had delivered sermon, gave the sacred bhagavadh gEthA,
charioted and so on, there was no immediate effect.However, history says that
even a dumb person attained salvation on surrendering unto sri rAmAnujA's
thirumEani. Is it then wrong to prefer him over the Lord?is the justification
coming forth.

The point emphasised here is the fundamental of our philosphy is dhathEya
shEshathvam that is being subservient to the devotees.

I conclude this with the thiru mozhip pAsuram
"....vuRRadhum vun adiyArku adimai. maRRellAm pEAsilum nin thiru ettezhuthum
kaRRu nAn kaNNapurathurai ammAnE" periya thiru mozhi 8-10-3

There may be so many explanations for the eight term thirumandhiram. Whatever
we discuss the essence is that one has to be subservient to His devotees. This
is what I have learnt as the real and true meaning of thirumandhiram.

vanamamalai padmanabhan

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia
ramanuja-subscribe@yahoogroups.com