You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Oct 2003

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00167 Oct 2003

Sri:

Humble pranam to all devotees on This Holy day of Mamunigal's Thriunakshatram
Particiapte in HIS Celbrations at W-DC: http://ramanuja.cc.uic.edu

Q 2: Mamunigal - What did Jeeyar teach us, did he write many works like other
scholars?
No, mamunigal did not want to re-write the already existing works, as some
others did.
His focus was to teach us the importance of protecting and propagating works of
other Acharyas.
To this end, he has composed many wonderful stOtrams (in tamizh and Sanskrit)
and insightful commentaries that lucidly explain the meanings of works by other
Acharyas (pUrvAchAryas). He taught us to write new works only if the existing
ones are inadequate or incomplete.

3. So who are these purvacharyas and what are their works?

swAmy mAmunikaL has written down for us in UpadesaRatnaMAlai (URM) about all
our AzhvArs and purvAchAryas. Here, he says,

"enthai thiruvAymozhippiLLai innaruLAl *
vantha upathEsamArkkaththai ssin^thai seythu *
pinnavarum kaRka, upathEsamAy pEsukinREn *
manniya seer veNpAvil vaiththu (2) ... 1

He provides this upadEsha so what he has learnt via the Guru Parampara
does not get completely lost or changed in the future. This forms the basis
for any basic education we seek as devotees of the Lord.
All the Acharyas and works we need to know are listed in URM.
There are many more acharyas, but the ones listed here are the ones we
definitely
need to know about as srI vaishNavas. All these acharyas and all their works
support
one another. All their messages are in unison and there is no ambiguity,
no contradiction, no opportunity for confusion.

Read these and more on the Vedic magazine
http://www.vedics.net/magazine/index.html

Azhvar Emberumanar Jeeyar ThiruvadigalE sharanam

adiyEn rAmAnuja dAsan
Mukundan Vangkipuram Pattangi
http://www.vedics.net

Home Page