You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Oct 2003

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00168 Oct 2003

sri:
Dear Devotees:

We are all blessed to be in a situation where acharyas knowledge keeps pouring
to us.
"All we have to do is NOT to block this with our Ego"

Dec 15th to Jan 15th, with HIS blessings, we plan to learn Thirumantram as
taught by our Purvacharyas.
- Led by Sri Velukkudi Swami's CD (and Vyakhyanam Book in Tamil or English)
- Swami will also try to come on the Tele-Bridge to teach and help us clarify
our doubts.

If you desire to learn, please register at:
http://ramanuja.cc.uic.edu/cgi-bin/thirum.pl

We will provide the CD Free of cost (You will have to pay the Packaging &
shipping charges)
or you may collect from your local VEDICS center for free. (www.vedics.net)

Note from Sri Velukkudi Swamin
Mumukshupadi Know yourself through Tirumantram

We, the jeevatmas, enjoy an intimate relationship with the Paramatma. Realising
this relationship
culminates into a perennial spring of joy. The most important source of this
knowledge is known
as Rahasyatraya the three sacred mantras Tirumantram, Dvayam and Caramaslokam.

=> Tirumantram depicts the Master and servant relationship,
=> Caramasloka instructs absolute surrender (Saranagati) as the only option for
the servant for spiritual union with his Master, and
=> Dvaya is for chanting during actual performance of Saranagati and requesting
service.

All the three rahasyas are short in words but deeper than the ocean in their
esoteric meanings.

Rahasyatraya knowledge is a must for every mumukshu (one who is longing for
Srivaikuntha).
Kanchi Devaraja incarnated as Swamy Pillailokacarya, and to unravel the
mysticism
of Rahasyas, delivered 18 divine works revered as ashtadasa rahasyas.
Mumukshupadi is
the most important of them on the subject of Rahasyatraya. It comprises of
three chapters,
namely, Tirumantra prakarana, Dvaya Prakarana and Caramasloka Prakarana.
The text is in the form of aphorisms (sutra), where minumum words are used for
maximum meanings.
This text needed a detailed commentary, which was an in born talent of Swamy
Manavala Mamunikal.

Being an incarnation of Adisesha, who had thousand divine tongues, Manavala
Mamunigal inherited the
power of description and so was renowned as Visada Vak Sikhamanigal.

Now, we have an opportunity to study Mumukshupadi at home.
As a first step we would start with tirumantra prakaranam,(115 sutras) and
understand
the glories of Paramatma and Jivatma. Tirumantram surpasses all other mantras
as it houses
the unique Narayana namam.

The suitable time to study this would be the brahma muhurtam of a year, which
is margazhi month (dhanur masa).
Andal, in the first verse of Tiruppavai, proclaims that Narayana is the
bestower of
divine service (narayanane namakke parai taruvan)

=>Study session would start on 1st day of margazhi (16th Dec 2003) and would
continue for the whole month.
=>Each participant would be given 2 MP3 CDs with a talk time of 18 hours Free
of cost.
These CDs have word-by-word explanation of Mumukshupadi along with the
commentary of Swamy Manavala Mamunigal rendered by Sri U. Ve. Velukkudi
Krishnan in simple tamil.
=>The participant has to donate $10 : Devotees overseas or Rs 100 : Devotees in
India, towards the Text Book
(copy of Mumukshupadi book in Tamil:This helps the publisher to a large extent.
)
=>For those who are not familiar in reading Tamil script, a simple English
translation of Swamy Manavala Mamunigal's
commentary. (Vedics Foundation USA will make this available in the Web & in
Paper form)
=>Students have to allot 1 hour every day OR 7 hours during the weekends and
complete listening to
the CDs along with the book. (listen to the discourse along with the book).
=>On the 19th day of margazhi month (kuttu villakku pasuram), the participants
would be supplied with a
simple questionnaire, which they need to answer at home to reinforce what they
learnt.
Participants can form study groups at their towns and answer to these over
weekends and submit the
assignment sheets on or before 25th day (orutti magan pasuram). This is not to
scare anyone but to build confidence.
(VEDICS will make arangements to receive and submit homeworks and solutions on-
line)
=>These assignments would be valued before the 30th day (vanga kadal
pasuram)and results published on the same day.
All the participants would be given a certificate naming them as "tirumantra
pravana"(one who is fond of tirumantra)
and a momento (of Swamy Manavala Mamunigal).
=>Satisfied participants may choose to reciprocate by participating in any
vaishnava kainkaryam undertaken by VEDICS at that time.

=>A word of caution only the acharya of a participant has the authority to
preach rahasyatrayam to him.
So every participant is requested to recite his acharya tanian at the beginning
and end of every session.
(If you have not had initiation and are interested please e-mail danp@xxxx)
=>This is an opportune moment considering the holidays during margazhi month.

We expect everyone wanting to know the right meaning of tirumantram, especially
Narayana namam,
which is essential to be a Srivaishnava, to participate in this programme.

We are sure that you would allot 18 hours to know yourself through tirumantram.

If you desire to learn, please register at:
http://ramanuja.cc.uic.edu/cgi-bin/thirum.pl

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia
ramanuja-subscribe@yahoogroups.com