You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Oct 2003

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00174 Oct 2003

SRIMATHE RAMANUJAYA NAMAHA
APPAN THIRUVADIGALE SARANAM.

Dear Srivaishnavas, Accept my pranam.

A prolonged discussion is going on the issue?Supremacy of Narayana?
Our great Ramanuja has discussed this issue in his ?Vedartha Sangraha? in
slokas 101 to 112.
Whose explanation, other than him do we require on this issue?
We are the followers of Ramanuja.
Those who can dispute his arguments can be:

1. Those who has no faith in Vedas.
2. Those who believe in Vedas; but, interpret vedas according to their whims
and fancies.
3. The present generation who get confused on account of various modern
versions without any base.

Sri Ramanuja?s explanations are based on ?Sabdha?Vedas? as pramanas. He follows
the way shown by his elders, predecessors, great Rishis?Badarayana, Danga,
Brhama nandi,Ghuha Deva. Kabhardhi, Bharuchi etc.,

(This is the proper way as advised by Sri Manavala Mamunigal as advised in
URM.71.
(MUUNNOR MOZHINTHA MURAI THAPPAME, PINNOR ATHANAI OORNTHU THAMATHANAI PESU).

We can ignore the statements of those under class 1 as they view things in a
different footing. Let them have their own way.

? AVARAVAR THAMATHATHU ARIVARI VAKAI AVARAR IRAIYAVAR ENA ADI ADAIVARKAL?
Thiruvaimozhi.1.1.5.

We can ignore the explantions or arguments of the class.2. as they are known as
?KUTHDRISHTIS? or those do not view things in the correct way.

The third case requires explanations.

We should thank our stars that we are followers of Ramanuja.
We can simply believe his statements.
Because, He was the master on all Vedas, NDP and all sastras..
He never accepted which is not conforming to sound logic. His life started
questioning his masters whenever he could not agree with his master?s views.

His cousin brother Govidan, later known as Embar, asked him as to how he could
believe that Sriman Narayana is having Chakra, Conch and other Divya ayudhas?

He replied ? Lord revealed himself to me as such and it is up to you to believe
it or not.?

One Sishya, Trilokya maha devi, who is not a scholar said that she would
believe whatever Ramanuja said, even if he said that the Jeyshta Devi is the
ultimate supreme Lord. Such was strong faith of these disciples.

One Yagnja moorthy, later known as Arulala perumal Emperumanar, a
versatilescholar argued with him and later became the disciple of Ramanuja.

One Madhavachariar, a great scholar was won over by Bhattar, became his
disciple and was known Nanjeeyar.

Such was the intellectual honesty and integrity of these people.

2. The difference of opinion on ?Parathva? is of later origin. Tamil Sangam
literature which belong to a period prior to 500.B.C, mentions the worship of
many gods including Narayana(Thirumal). But, Parathvam or Jagat Karanathvam is
attributed to HIM ONLY. There was no dispute on this point during that period.
3. After 500 B.C, Jainism and Buddhism began to flourish and ?Sanadhana Dharma
? was in shadows.
4. No concrete information is available for the periods during 1st Century AD
to 3rd Century. From 4th Century onwards, Azhvars and Nayanmars began tospread
Vaishanvam and Saivam respectively.
5. From this period only Saivites began to claim Supremacy to Lord Siva. They
can have their own way as they do not have faith in Vedas.
6. But, Vedhanthins cannot have such a claim. They have always held Vishnu or
Narayana as the Supreme one.
7. Sri.Alavandar in his Stotra Ratna sloka 11 says.

?SVABHAVIKA ANVATHIKA ATHISAYA EESITHVAM KHAHA;VAIDHIKA NA
MRUSHYATHI ? SIVA SADHAMAKA ITHI YETHE ABHI YASYA THE MAHIMARANAVA VIPRUSHAHA;
In other words, Vaidhikas cannot question your overlordship as Siva; Brahmaand
others form part and drops in your mighty ocean.

Of course some Vedhantins who saw reason in Ramanuja?s arguments became his
disciples. Those who cannot tolerate the splendor of Srivaishnavam, in later
periods. became Saiva Advaithins and started confusions.

Pillai Lokachariar has contributed 18 Rahasyas . ?THATHVA SEKARAM; whichdeals
with this issue also, is one among them.

Those who can go through these texts can get convinced of the Supremacy of Lord
Narayana. It is advisable for them to get the guidance and advice of learned
well-qualified unbiased persons of our cult.

That is best way for ametures.

Adiyen Ramanuja dasan, T.Parthasarathy.

\