You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Oct 2004

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00071 Oct 2004

Pls see my answers to krishna's doubts, in blue

Dear All,
I want to introduce myself as krishna. I am currently studying engineering
in chennai. I have joined this group recently as I wanted to learn about
my religion. Having lived all my life in north, I have been unfortunate
enough to miss out learning these things during my childhood. But I look
forward to  my education in the days to come.

READY THE TEACHER APPEARS"

I have a few queries. I apologize if my questions are misplaced in this
group. Please tell me if it is so.

If god is beyond any description capable by the human mind then why do we
resort to idol worship. Arent we limiting god to something which we can
describe when he much much more than that?

GOD IS WHAT YOU WANT TO CONCENTRATE AND DO, AND A PICTURE IS REQUIRED FOR YOU
TO VISUALISE SOMETHING DIVINE AS HUMAN MINDS WANDER WHEN EYES OPENED AND
ALSO WHEN IT IS CLOSED SO ONCE YOU VISUALISE A PICTURE IN YOUR MIND WHEN YOU
PRAY EVEN WHEN YOU ARE SLIPPING FROM CONCENTRATION YOU WILL COME BACK TO
TRACK IN

I wanted to learn the meaning of the veda mantras here. I approached some
people here in chennai and everybody insisted that I first memorise them
and only then would they be willing to explain. Why is it so important for
me first memorise them before trying to understand? Can I really being to
understand them without a guru?

MEMORISING ANYHTING SHALL BRING THE ORDER OF ANYTHING WRITTEN AND YOUR
UNDERSTANDING SHALL BE ALOS IN ORDER, IF YOU REMMEBER IN BITS AND PIECES THE
UNDERSTANDING BECOMES DIFFICULT, PARTICULARY SANSKRIT THE PRONOUNCIATION MAY
MAKE THE MEANING DIFFERENT HENCE MEMORISING AND UNDERSTANDING IS BETTER,

Again, please excuse me if I have offended anybody. It is out of ignorance
that I am asking these questions.

I BELIEVE I HAVE SHARED MY VIEWS AND CORRECT ME IF AM WRONG,

VASANTHY MADHAVAN

Sincerely,
Krishna

Message: 2